Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendations for the Holiday Stocking

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Any suggestions for modern jazz CDs that I need to put on my list? Thanks, folks.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    How modern?

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Bobo Stenson Trio. ECM.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Fair question. Last twenty years with an emphasis on last twenty months, oriented away from free blowing.

And thanks. Yo ho ho.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Lynne Arriale Trio: Melody or Inspiration.

6. Tuck Andress, the phenomenal guitarist half of Tuck & Patti, has a holiday album called Hymns, Carols and Songs About Snow that is truly wonderful, IMHO. It's practically the only "holiday" listening I can stand. Hell, I even play the disc in July!

You can purchase it here. Very strongly recommended, as is his other solo work, Reckless Precision.

7. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just bought the new Nels Cline Singers disc, "Instrumentals". NCS is Nels CLine (guitar), Devin Hoff (contrabass), and Scott Amendola on drums. This disc really runs the gamut, and can go from quite quiet to loud experimental oriented things that typically do have some sort of arrangement. I am really digging this one...but its only for a certain type of taste, and definitely not a "Christmas CD"....

8. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Agreed! Anders Jormin is a supereb bassist whom I'm hoping to get as a teacher...!

/lovebown

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Anders Jormin is a bad boy.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ditto on Bobo. There's also a newish Keith Jarrett trio CD, recorded live in Japan that's interesting if you like them. A little freer and sparser than some of their earlier stuff. Keith sounds like he's back in shape. Ask a rich friend; it's a double CD.

11. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
  12. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Samuel,

I just picked up the newest Tim Warfield "Jazz Is....." on the Criss Cross label.

Great stuff on the modern side.

Personnel is Tim Warfield (Ts), Nicholas Payton (Tp), Stefon Harris (Vib), Cyrus Chestnut (P), Tarus Mateen (B), Clarence Penn (D).

I got it yesterday and I'm really digging the modern way they do "My Shining Hour".

Speaking of buying cd's, I've been getting mine at www.buy.com. If they have a cd in stock, it is free shipping, and most of their jazz is $12.99-13.99

Monte

13. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    how about E.S.T. Esbjorn Sweensen Trio, kind of mordern, european, the bass playerhas a very good sound, the trio is very creative, very enjoyable.

14. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    That's Esbjörn Svensson ;)

/lovebown