Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendations for Third

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ancient Mariner, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    I want to have 3 basses in the stable - one and a backup in case the third is in the shop.

Currently own a Peavey Cirrus 5 and a Tribute L2500. For the third, I'm thinking of the following alternatives:

G&L L2500 MIA
    Fender V MIA (P or J)
    Lakland 55-02

Any others I should consider in the $1.5K +- range? I do 2 church gigs a month and also play in a 60's-70's-C&W cover band. I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments.

TIA,

Mike

2. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO, The Lakland would be the PERFECT compliment to those two. Otherwise, I'd go for a straight-up Fender J, 'cause I can't imagine a collection without at least one "standard" like that.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, IMHO, between these two, definitely the Cirrus, but also IMHO, since you already have a "better" Cirrus, and at least a very good 2500, why not get something that will do a better job of expanding your tonal universe?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IMO not the fender.

I tihnk the lakland. Then use the tribute as your backup.

6. I feel like the cirrus and the G&L do the modern thing fine. Im usually not one to say get a Fender but in this situation Im gonna say get the P. You already have two basses that are pretty versatile, go for the P!

7. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Thanks to all for your responses. I'll delay this purchase until after the first of the year, and I think my "Final Four" candidates, to join my Peavey Cirrus 5 and G&L Tribute L2500, are as follows (right now in no particular order):

Fender American Deluxe 5 Jazz
    Lakland 55-02
    Peavey Cirrus 5 MIA Bolt-on Mahogany
    G&L L2500 MIA

If I did have to rank one or two as "leaders" right now, it would probably be the G&L and the Lakland, primarily because both of them have the pre-amp bypass capabilities (aka active/passive switches), a feature I really like.

But I'm still cogitating :confused: and will be for a couple of weeks at least- and thanks again for your insights and recommendations.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I would say lakland, because it would probably be a nice addition to your tonal possibilities, but....

It is a 35" scale instrument, so it might take a bit of getting used to, which might make it not a comfortable backup. On the other hand, it just might become your main bass....

9. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Hi Eilif;

Sholuldn't be too much of a problem if I go Lakland...I've gotten used to shifting between a 35" scale Cirrus and a 34" scale Tribute.

10. Bear in mind that the preamp bypass on the Lakland is more of a backup for when the battery dies. That being said, the Lakland is a great bass.

11. Bottom4

Bottom4

Nov 25, 2005
    Buy the Lakland and put all others away...

Great bass and great customer service. :bassist:

12. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Not sure I'll put the others away, but...today I DID buy a 55-02! Ordered at a smokin' price from Bass Central .. now comes the wait.