1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for warm tone on an ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nrockshard, May 4, 2010.

1. nrockshard

nrockshard

Nov 22, 2009
    so i just bought a used ibanez for $100 at a pawn shop. it's quite trashed, but I'm planning on making a project out of it to get as warm a tone as possible out of it (the tone coming out of it is pretty warm already). I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations in terms of;

-new strings?
    -new pickups?
    -defretting?
    -other?

I'm not terribly knowledgeable in terms of technology when it comes to bass, but I'm looking to experiment a bit. Again, thanks to anybody who contributes anything to my plans.

2. nrockshard

nrockshard

Nov 22, 2009
  3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The strings and pickups do have an effect on the tone. But, technique and playing style probably has a larger effect. Are you new to bass? Do you play with fingers or a pick? Is your tone control having a noticible effect?

4. nrockshard

nrockshard

Nov 22, 2009
    i have played for almost 3 years now, im currently a freshman in highschool. i play with two fingers, and I'm aware that playing style has a great effect on the tone, but thank you for that insight. I can get a reasonable slew of sounds out of it, I'm just curious as to which things could aid me in getting a very warm tone out of it.

I already own a musicman stingray 5, so that is my primary bass. this ibanez is almost completely for experimental purposes, the only exception being that i would possibly use it if i could get a superb sound out of it. but for the mostpart, im solely looking to experiment with it. thank you

5. rewopnayr

rewopnayr

Apr 26, 2007
    marion
    turn the highs all the way down on the eq