1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations on amp / cab needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Windrider, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Windrider

Windrider

Mar 28, 2019
    Hi guys,

I'm new here but I've been scrolling through some forums before, so greetings to everyone first :) I need some help with my sound, which is currently not what I want it to be, and my knowledge of amps is narrower for bass than guitar yet, so there's probably people in here who can help me.

My setup: My main bass is from a small luthier in Hungary, it features both warmer and punchier woods (swamp ash, wenge&maple neck, ebony fretboard) and a single coil (neck) and humbucker (bridge) pickup, by Sublime Pickups. I play through an EBS Reidmar 500 into a 4x10 Eden Cab (EX410 I think).

The main thing is that within my band (rock,pop,funk), the sound is often too muffled. I think we generally have too much low freqs in our sound (the guitarist is also part of the problem, as well as the rehearsal room structure) and my band mates at times complain they can't really distinguish the notes I play when on the low B string and the lower E string notes. And, especially depending on where you stand in the room, there's a lot of "roaring". It is better now that I rolled the low mid freqs around 300Hz all the way down on the EBS, but this can't be the solution forever can it?

Now what I would like is a more punchier, defined sound. So my main question is, with the EBS and Eden that I play, are they generally considered to sound "warm"? Which would probably be bad in my case. I currently don't have the time to go to a store and try many amps. If so, what would be nice alternatives? Personally I would prefer an all-tube (expensive as F!) or hybrid amp, but I'm not sure which one could help me there. Maybe Ampeg SVT's are it but they are above 1000 bucks even if used.

So if someone has recommendations here, that would be greatly appreciated :)