1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommendations on powered speakers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by the_hook, May 5, 2010.

1. the_hook

the_hook

Apr 9, 2008
    Toronto
    I'm looking for a pair of self powered speakers that I can run my iPod into or use with my laptop.

I'm jamming with my son on drums and they need to be loud enough that we can play either medium and still hear it over our playing. This would only be for home use.

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    To play over drums you will probably need small PA speakers as opposed to studio monitors or consumer grade speakers. My favorite small, self-powered PA boxes are the QSC K8's or K10's. They are more pricey than entry level offerings but they are truly well-engineered in all respects and the sound proves it. These little speakers sound absolutely huge!

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/k_series/

3. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
  4. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    The Yorkville powered speakers are pretty decent.

5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    the rcf are killer, also quite expensive...
    probably some of the most expensive in their class (in america).
    you can get a pair of used jbl eon 15's for around 400.00 each with tripod stands, if you keep your eyes peeled.

6. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    depending on how your son plays, Im thinking QSC k10 too. I tried a tapco th-15a with my drummer and you would need a loud singer to hear it at 400 watts.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    QSC K10's. Add a Ksub at some point and you've got a powerful rocking PA.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Grado open-air headphones for both of you. The sound will be a lot better, you can use them for pleasure listening, and you won't make so much racket (won't irritate the Mrs. or the neighbors).

9. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Depends on your budget

QSC- K8, K10, K12
    JBL- EONs
    Mackie srm350, srm450
    Behringer- B212d, B215d

and a small mixer to have the right connections

10. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    what does everyone think of MAckie srm450?

can't afford the RCF

11. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    My band used the original version of the mackie 450s before we went to IEMs and they worked well. I have no experience with the V2s.

12. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    If I purchase the MAckie srm 450s, they will be used for FOH. Let me explain.
    Here's our current FOH setup:
    2 Yamaha 2-15 w/horn cabs
    2 EV 18" subs, sometimes we add addition pair of 2-15" subs for outdoor.
    2 RCF powered 12s (on loan)

all instruments get sent to the Yamaha 2-15 cabs
    voices only get sent to the RCF powered speakers
    Kick and bass sent to subs using crossover.
    While it may seem two powered 12s couldn't handle it, it's amazing how the RCFs send the voices across the crowd. We are always complimented on the clarity of our sound.

So, anyway, I can't afford to replace the loaners with RCFs, that's why I'm looking at the srm450

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The other night I was at a horse show (it sucked), and there was a band playing a huge arena with only four SRM450s and a couple SWA1501 subs. The volume was amazing, and the sound was not bad. I've also seen a 20-piece entertainment group (Wayne Foster) play to a room of 1,200 people with only four of the SRM450s. Again, I couldn't believe it. I spent ten minutes looking for more speakers. So I'd say a pair of them would do you up fine.

That said, right now, one of my band's PA systems is JBL PRX 512Ms and 518S subs. Great sound, light weight. One of my favorite things to do when no one else is home is break out those mains, and play my iPod through them at high volume. Amazing sound.