1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations on saddles/pots/pick-ups?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vrockboy, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Vrockboy

Vrockboy Guest

Sep 16, 2015
    Hi there bass players!
    First of all, I'm all new to this community, so let me kindly know if this thread does not correspond to this section and has to be moved to another.
    Alright then.
    Here's my issue: I'm the owner of an SX Custon Made Vintage Series Jazz Bass. I've been playing it for at least three years (never in a very active way; played just for myself, and sometimes live for fun with friends). I've never been into hardware stuff at all, and I think the moment has came: one of the pots stopped working; the saddle (or "bridge"? Are them synonyms?) got heavily corroded; and the magnets of the pickups got pretty dirty in the same way, too. Of course, I started to realize that the sound of the instrument itself started to get worse with the time, so I decided to fix this issue some way.
    On the other hand, I've got an LTD B105 that got its active preamp circuit broken.
    The problem is that, when I google for "saddles", "pots" or "preamp circuits" to buy, there appears lots of brands, models, prices and opinions for million of different items. Remember I said I ain't got any clue about hardware stuff... Which one should I choose?
    So, the question is: which are your recommendations? Or at least, where to start? How to know which is the right one?

Thank you!

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

No, THEY are not synonyms. The bridge is the entire assembly of plate, saddles and screws.

A vintage type Fender style bridge or a direct replacement such as a Hipshot A type , B type or vintage type will drop right on.

Dirty magnets mean nothing. Don't affect sound. Ignore.

An electronic contact cleaner spray can clean dirty pots however, ALPHA brand pots are inexprnsive and do the job fine. Just look on the back: A250k (audio, 250,00 ohm) are commonly used but they may be A500k.

Audere is a great preamp. Top of the line. Look no further. On the high end of price but simply excellent.

JustForSport likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021