Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommendations please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acacia, May 20, 2004.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am looking to enhance my SWR GoliathIII 4x10 cab with a 1x15. A local shop offered me a new SWR Workingmans Series 1x15 for $299 or a used (but damn near new) Ampeg SVT-15E for $299.

I am running a Sansamp pre-amp and a QSC power amp. I am going to play through both of them this weekend, but wanted some general thoughts.

How is the Workingmans Series? I am familiar with Ampeg's quality.

Thanks in advance.

2. I had a Swr workingman's 1x15. It's a good sounding 15, huge low end, very tight cab. It's light too, 45 lbs. I now have the Swr sob (1x15) I did a comparison on both cabs and honestly I preferred the tone of the workingman's 15...it has more low end, and it's 15 lbs. lighter. The sob has a much better tweeter and handles more wattage. I have no experience with the Ampeg, but it may be awkward stacking the goliath III on top as the Ampeg is 16" deep and the goliath is 18...so the workingman's 15 will stack better with the goliath. Just something for you to ponder. :eyebrow:

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    sean the workingman series is lower wattage and the tone of the workingman is not as smooth or rounded as the "pro" line of SWR. I'd suggest you take your gear to the store and play them together or see if you can return the workingman if you don't like it in a few days.

the workinman quality is o.k., but just different tone/wattage. I owned a workingman 10 combo with a 10 extention speaker.

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I had a Workingmans 15 cab that I used teamed with a Goliath Jr 210 and it sounded real good together though I didn't like the 15 alone.

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    thanks all. i tested both out today an opted for the SWR. The Ampeg did have a bit of a cleaner tone, but hey, i'm playing motorhead covers. :D It'll sound fine i'm sure.