1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations re schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skyline2, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Skyline2

Skyline2 Guest

I'm a newbie looking for advice. My Hartke HA2500/XL115 is being pushed to distortion by the guitar and drums. I want a clean sound, not muddy and more on the bright side rather than dark. Playing classic rock.
    I 'm thinking of a Schroeder 1212 or 21012 I'm looking for recommendations regarding the schroeder or another cabinet.
    Would the Shroeders give the volume w/o replacing the Hartke amp? The guitar amp is 30 to 50w. If I need another amp, am looking at a Gene Benz Shuttle or a SWR amp. Recommedations regarding these or other amps would be great. Just playing for fun, no gigs.

2. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Take a 21012

and a stronger amp so you dont underpaower the cabinet

3. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    FWIW, I play a 1212R and GK 1001-RBII (~700Watts) and have never needed more volume. I'm not sure what the power output of the Hartke amp is, but anything 500W or more with a 1212 should be plenty loud. YMMV

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Depends how loud you are playing. Honestly, unless your a super loud death metal band a 1212r should do the trick. Thats what I have and I love it. Should work great for classic rock. Quite portable, loud for its size and great tone that cuts thru the mix. Its a winner.

5. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Based on this statement, I'm not sure you would find a Schroeder to your liking. I have a 1210 and I really like it, but I would not describe it as "clean" per se. They respond well to EQ, but have quite a bit of low mid hump.

Schroeders shine at gigs where you need to cut through to be heard. In that sense, it might be what you need. They are also very efficient and don't need a lot of power to produce a lot of volume.

The 21012, I have not heard, nor played through so I can't comment on that one.
    Good luck...

6. hartke cabs tend to give me the same problem.. they just wont push!

7. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    I owned a 1210R and a 1210L. I have played thru a 410L. ALL of the Schroeder's I have played have this funny vibration noise/distortion from the angled portion of the cab.

I would try the EXACT cab you are buying before you buy it!

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IMO the 1212 will handle any volume you need and all the juice your Hartke can squeeze. My 1212L is very mid-forward and does not distort in any meaningful way with 500 watts of SS input up to the noon volume point. I've never puched my LM2 beyond that. This setup can make my bandmates scream for mercy if I decide to use it as a weapon, LOL. I think your cab may be much less efficient than the Schro and I'd try it with your current head before spending on a new amp.

9. mikoespanol

mikoespanol

Aug 20, 2005
    Southern CA
    Both are great cabs, I prefer the 1212 though. It covers any venue and it is loud and lightweight. Mine is a workhorse and I've used it in almost any live setting. I'd suggest trying them out at the Low End since you have local access to them.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    That's weird. Have you emailed Jorg about those vibrations?

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I agree a 500w and a 1212 make a great, powerful setup.