Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommendations: separate pre and power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoxbassist, Feb 29, 2004.

1. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    I have just ordered two new cabinets from Dr. Bass (www.drbasscabs.com). They are a 700 W RMS 2x10, and a 500 W RMS 1x15. My head is an Eden WT-400. I want to add some more wattage to this setup-- I already have pushed the WT-400 to its output limit using cabinets with a far lower RMS rating (ampeg classic series). This is probably because I am such a low-end freak when it comes to EQ! So- I am thinking about getting a new pre/power amp setup. I still want that tube/solid state hybrid sound that the WT-400 gives me. Would getting a QSC or Crown power amp and a tube preamp (such as the Aguilar, etc.) be the cheapest way to do it? Can anyone help me with suggestions (i.e. which QSC or Crown poweramp, which tube preamp)? Thanks.

-Dan

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i don't know anything about power amps but i'd recommend the alembic f1x (or f2b 2 channel) preamp- it sounds excellent. :bassist:

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    According to Eden, the headphone jack can be used to drive a power amp. So the cheapest thing would be to get a power amp with an unbalanced input and run it off the Eden. You would also keep your sound and power amps are much cheaper than preamps.

4. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado

This would be a good idea. My other suggestion is if you like the Eden tone, go with the navigator and QSC PLX power amp or a Crown XS power amp.The Navigator is an incredible preamp for the money it cost, and it has a really good tube preamp.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    If the cabs are 8 ohms each (= 4 ohms total), an excellent sounding amp will be the Crown K1 (1500 w into 4 ohms).

If either cabinet is four ohms, a QSC PL236 will be the way to go (2x 725w into 8 ohms, 2x 1100w into 4ohms, or 3700 bridged into 4 ohms if you want to get crazy). (A Crown CE4000 has about the same power, but does not sound as good.)

6. Pre-amps? If you want tube tone? Alembic F1-X, Ampeg SVP-Pro and Aguilar come to mind. I have personal experience with the Alembic and Ampeg. The Alembic is a sweet buttery tube tone and the Ampeg is, well that Ampeg tube tone. As far as power amps go, there are a ton of good ones that will do what you want. If weight isn't that big of a deal, I like the QSC RMX 1850. All the power you'll need and it is designed to be really stable at low ohms. Something lighter? QSC PLX 1602 or 2402. and..................

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My rack rig includes an Eden Navigator pre and a PLX 3002. This is a great match, and would seem to hit the nail on the head, as far as what you are looking for. Go to Basstasters.com and listen to all of their wonderful samples. Then, pick the preamp that sounds best to you, and pair it up with the biggest PLX series amp that you can afford. That'd be my suggestion, at least.

Tom.

8. FWIW I use a BBE BMAX-T and a QSC PLX-1602 and the tube tone is amazing. I would highly recommend you give the BBE a listen before you make your final decision. I'm playing through a Avatar 410.
    Good luck.

9. Hey Dan,

I have been using an Alembic F-1X with a QSC PLX1602 and 3002 for the last 2-3 years. The tone was quite nice, but I just acquired the EA iAMP800 a few weeks ago. I wanted to : 1- downsize a little, 2- try new gear, 3- liked the CD practice feature, 4- liked the versatility of the head. I loved the Alembic but think the iAMP is better suited for me.

BTW, the preamp is gone, but I still have the PLX1602. If you're interested, send me a private message.

Rocky