Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendations to replace my old bass please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tcrash247, Jan 31, 2006.

1. tcrash247

tcrash247

Jan 31, 2006
    Right now I have a cheapass Ibanez that really needs to be replaced. I'm looking to spend between $500 and $700.

At first I was looking at some Fender Jazz's because I like the way they sound and I've been working on my slapping and popping. But I'm not sure how a FJ will sound when I'm trying to play heavy metal.

Bands I like to play - Primus, Rush and Rage Against the Machine would sound great with a Fender Jazz. But I also like to play Pantera, Metallica, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, all of which might not sound as good with a Fender Jazz.

In the realm of Fender Jazz's, I was looking at the Fender 60s Jazz and the Geddy Lee Signature, but which would be better? If with my musical tastes a Fender Jazz wouldn't be the right choice, give me some suggestions of something else. Thanks in advance for the input.

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Fender Jazz will do most anything you need it to. The right rig, the right strings and the right touch and you are there. BTW, all those Led Zep recordings are Jazz bass. It's a good choice, classic in fact!

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Fender Jazz is good for everything. A MM SR would be a good pick too.

4. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I play all the same stuff that you do. As well as some other stuff, and all I have are Fender Jazzes. For the money you can't touch the versatilty. If you look around you should be able to find a nice MIA stadard model.

The other route you can go is tried and trusted Fender P-Bass.

The best thing to do is go out and play as many basses as you can, and get the one the 'speaks' to you.

5. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    A good philosophy to follow is that you can always add bass but can seldom add great highs (carry over from guitar amplification) - when you are talking about metal - your amp and any effects really some into play.

My vote is to go for the jazz, make sure the pickups are noiseless (or humcancelling) and load on the girth.

of course you could also retro fit with a pair of dimarzio model j's ($90 pretty much everywhere new) they'll ake your jazz hit like a rhino. I don't know how they'll respond to slap though.

The jazz will give you clarity - in this case your amp can deliver the metal.

Although - don't underestimate a good PJ either.

~M

6. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Well, not all of them are with the Fender Jazz.

Jazz's are good for just about anything, their clarity adds to the flexibility in tone, and, as mentioned above, let your amp make the metal.

Just don't forget to try out every single bass in your price range.

7. I think of the two you list I would recommend the Geddy Lee Jazz. It's one of the better basses in your price range. I would look for one with a good neck and clean fretwork though. And then I would have someone switch out the tuning pegs with Hipshots. You might want a detuner on the E-string if you're going to be playing lots of metal. And I would consider swapping out the pickups for EMG's to give you access to some more aggressive tones for metal and modern sounding slap. Anyways, that's what I would recommend for your situation. :)

8. steve21

steve21 Banned

JPJ had a Jazz (or alembics), Geezer Butler he uses a J-bridge pickup nowadays, and Metallica has nearly always had some sort of J-bass tone in there, Cliff Burton's rickenbacker had a Fender 70s jazz bass bridge pickup in there, Jason used Sadowskies, and Rob's Fernandes basses all have EMG J pickups.

9. +1

the Fender Jazz is the #1 choice of the working/studio bass player, in the world. and, the most copied design. in your price range, look for used basses. $700 should get a very nice Jazz(made in usa). also check out Musicman, and G&L.
    :cool:

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    4 or 5 string?
    I personally love the Traben stuff in this price range. A Jazz is nice too. I have been thinking of picking up one, just so the oldier players will respect me if nothing else :p

11. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Rush - Geddy currently plays a Fender Jazz exclusively
    Rage Against the Machine - Timmy also plays Fender Jazz basses (including a double-neck J)
    Metallica - former bassist Jason Newsted played Sadowsky Jazz basses
    Led Zeppelin - John Paul Jones played both P and J basses, I think
    Black Sabbath - Geezer Butler now plays Lakland Jazz basses (John Osourne series, I think), and I think he recorded with a P back in the day.

The J won't hold you back (I play some metal with my J :D ). You're in good company. :bassist:

12. tcrash247

tcrash247

Jan 31, 2006
    Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it.

I must say that I have no idea about the differences in pickups or how I would go about installing them. And some of you said let the amp do the metal. I'm not sure what you mean by that, my amp is pretty much a piece of crap too. Just an Ibanez Sound Wave 35. After I get a new bass, I'll be saving for a new amp. The only effect pedals I have are a Boss Bass Overdrive and a Morley Dual Bass Wah pedal.

I forgot John Paul Jones used a FJ, duh me.

Also, I'm looking for a 4 string, not 5.

I gotta take a ride to Sam Ash and Guitar Center to check things out.

13. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    as always, i recommend a used Carvin. you'll probably wanna look for one with a two humbuckers (not stacked) or one with a humbucker at the bridge and a j99 at the neck.

14. tcrash247

tcrash247

Jan 31, 2006
    So I went to a crappy guitar shop by my house and all they had was a Fender Standard Jazz. I really like the way it sounds, so I'll probably go with a Fender Jazz. But I looked on a site and they have a bunch around $700, I have no clue what the differences are. I'll post some links and you guys can let me know which is the best.

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Geddy-Lee-Jazz-Bass-i31919.music

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Aerodyne-Jazz-Bass-i155035.music

http://www.music123.com/Fender--60s-Classic-Jazz-Bass-i68115.music

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Highway-1-Jazz-Bass-i90256.music

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-i230425.music

[URL="http://www.music123.com/Fender-Reggie-Hamilton-STD-Jazz-Bass-i230422.music']http://www.music123.com/Fender-Reggie-Hamilton-STD-Jazz-Bass-i230422.music[/URL]

15. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    Ibanez SR Series all the way...worth what your willing to pay..but you'll pay less:D

16. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Yeah, Fender makes a million permutations of its two bass designs (Jazz and Precision).

The differences are minute. Other than looks, here are the basics differences in the ones you were looking at:

Geddy Lee - modeled after his '70s Jazz. Its made in Japan and its very popular because of its thin neck, looks, vintage-style pickups, and upgraded bridge. You most likely won't notice a huge difference between this and the standard, though many believe the difference is worth every penny.

Aerodyne - has a different body wood (basswood), a curved top, and a Precision pickup in the neck position; this is the common "PJ" configuration. Because of the P pickup, you'll (obviously) be able to get a P sound out of it. With both pickups on, it sounds pretty much like other Jazzes; you'd have to listen to it yourself and decide which one you like most.

60's Jazz - is a reissue. Some have said it's the best Mexican-made Fender you can buy.

Highway 1 Jazz - is the most affordable US-made Jazz. It has a laquer finish and the American series' pickups. The quality of the construction and materials are generally believed to be higher than those of the Mexican-made Fenders (like the Standard Jazz).

Jazz 24 - has 24 frets, Seymour Duncan pickups, and an onboard preamp. The sound of this bass is much more "modern" than the Standard Jazz you were looking at, which is good to some and bad to others.

Reggie Hamilton Jazz - like the Aerodyne, it's a PJ. It also has a preamp (like the Jazz 24) and a detuner on the E string tuning machine that lets you flip a lever and instantly drop the tuning to drop-D.

To be honest, you'd have to play these instruments yourself and decide which one feels/sounds the best to you. You might be able to find some of them at a local shop or Guitar Center (though I've never seen a Reggie Hamilton anywhere) and check 'em out. Honestly, though? You probably won't be struck by any huge differences (except for the Jazz 24). The Fender Standard Jazz is an excellent bass on its own, in my opinion. Really, it's great.

17. ^very nice.
    class dismissed.:cool:

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I'm kinda diggin' that Jazz 24. I could see myself owning something like that in the future.

19. tcrash247

tcrash247

Jan 31, 2006
    Thanks for the info Tom! I'm digging the Highway 1 bass, but yeah, I need to hit Guitar Center and Sam Ash this weekend.