Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, May 16, 2005.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Hey guys, I've got exams coming up this summer and my paretns have translated the prospect of me doing well into the prospect of me getting a new bass if I do well and pay at least £300 of it. I'm looking for something that has a good all around tone and can be used in all situations (I'm called to play in them all) I'm not entirely sure what I'd like to get, as I GAS for every bass ever made, for real. All I know is I would like it to have 24 frets, probably active to get that range of tones and to have a decent cutaway. I'm in the UK, so it'd help if these basses were avzailable here reasonably easily for me to test them (I'm talking tin pan alley, Uk guys ;) ) My price range is up to £700, at maximum. Do you guys have any suggestions for me?

2. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Bumo Bump Bumpitty Bump Bump. :)

3. I don't know what 700lbs is worth, but I'll throw a couple things out. First off I'm a newb, but the guy that came with me to help play some riffs over and over on different sh!t is pretty good. He has a Warick bass (not sure of model), worth about $2000 Cnd, but he got 2nd hand for about half that. However he also has a 4 string Bongo to mellow it out. I have a real nice sounding Yamaha BB414 (I still kinda suck, but it sounds deadly when I hit or when someone good plays, lol) The Yamaha was $450 Cdn, but could find one a little cheaper (I kinda got a package deal with amp so Overall, I didn't really pay $450). This Yamaha sounds good mellow and loud, well amp is nice too (Fender Rumble 100). Others to consider Fender Jazz Bass (but try first, some mexican models great, some questionable)! American if affordable are great! Epiphones are good (not so much hard rock or punk), I'm sure there are many others that others will throw at you, find what you like, but try everything you can first!

:bassist:
    Pipes on bass :bassist:
    :bassist: