Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringsOf4, Feb 4, 2006.

1. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I like a trebly "punk rock" tone. I can get close to it with my MIM Pabss and olp, but if i listen to the bass alone, it's fuzzy and thumpy in the background like when you turn your tone knob down. I want something a bit clearer and defined. any recommendations on which bass would give me what i'm looking for? A better P-bass? Quarter pounder's for mine? A jazz bass? or a stingray? Or even eq setting recommendations?

Example song: fall out boy - "saturday"

2. Quarter Pounders bring a P bass some serious life. If you want a bright trebly tone newer strings help. Of corse, tone volume cranked and a P bass is all you need for punk.

Only one problem though...fall out boy is not punk...I beleive they would go into....Popcore?

3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Internal Preamp like an Agular or Dementer. Passive pickups allow you to rolloff low end. Active Eq allows you to boost treble and bass and midtones depending upon which pre you choose. That should give you what you are looking for. Requires some installation and one or two 9 volt batteries depending on which pre you choose.

4. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Sorry about using "punk rock", i really hate the word "punk". but anywho, i already have spb-2 on my p-bass but i believe it is a more "vintage" style pup. i was tweaking my eq with my olp today and got closer to what i was looking for but the basswood body is holding back some of the fullness of the tone. if i did switch to spb-3 quarter pound pups on my pbass do you think i could sell the spb-2? a better song example would be the starting line- "hello houston". my olp is close but i can't seem to get away from my p, we've been through alot together! you ever get that feeling?

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Just replace your pups with some active EMGs. That what I have for playing old school (think Ramones/Sex Pistol/Black Flag) punk and love them. :bassist: