Recommendations ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JaggedBass, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Hello everyone! I'd just like to start out saying that this is a great site and everyone here is so helpful! I've been searching for a high end 6-string bass for a long time now. I'm very open to suggestion and was wondering if you can give me one or two brands to check out for my following playing style and preferences. First of all, I play almost everything! My main styles of music are progressive metal, funk, and jazz, etc. I do fingerstyle soloing, slap/pop, and tapping. Also, I need a tone that can cut well through the mix. Bassically, I need a versatile bass. As far as string spacing I guess you can say not too much and not too little, average. I'm planning to spend up to $2500 USD. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cya ...
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    As far as 6ers I've played, these are the ones I liked, in no particular order:

* Peavey Cirrus
    * Elrick Gold Standard
    * Ken Smith BSRGN
    * Warwick Thumb
    * Alembic Rogue
    * Hanewinckel (I own one)

I would recommend ANY of them, but of course you ought to try to play as many of them as you can first. The Elrick, the Alembic, and the Hanewinckel will no doubt be hard to find in a play before you buy situation, but if you live in or near a decent sized city you can probably find a Cirrus, a Smith, and a Warwick that you can play. Any of them can be had for $2,500 or less used. The Cirrus is probably the most bang for the buck of this group. You can get a new one for much less than $2,500.

I've also played a Yamaha 6 (don't know what model) at GC. Didn't do anything for me. Coulda been the setup. The strings felt too heavy and tight. Too much effort per pluck. And I didn't like the neck feel. I also played a Modulus 6 at Mars. It was "okay" but not worth the price tag imho. Way over your $2,500 point.

3. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    ...rushing to defend the honor...:D

Every Modulus I've played at either GC or Mars has had the WORST set-up ever. Nothing like the guys at BassNorthwest or Tom Lee up in Vancouver, IMO. You can find a used Modulus Q6 anywhere online for less that 2K. Most consistant playing fingerboard, IMO.

The Warwick and Ken Smith mentioned above definatly are great basses, so try them also. The Peavy Cirrus line is pretty good, but get a used one...the re-sale value on them puppies is crazy (a used 6 for around $, $1800!). Have fun!
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A year ago I bought a new Modulus Quantum 5 for $1900 including shipping from Bass Northwest. Unless prices went up drastically, a Quantum 6 can't be a whole lot more.

IMO, Modulus is boutique quality at a reasonable price. My Q5 is easily the fastest 5 I own, even with the 35" scale. I luv me that B-string too.

Used Q6 at BassNW for $1800
  5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i played a couple of HANEWINKLES (sp?) at 2002 NAMM.

one of THEEEEEE EASIEST playing basses ever!

smokin' action....and tons o tone!!!!!!!!

not sure what he's doing....but, the action is almost TOO smooth!!!!!!!!!

6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You ought'a try a BassLab STV 6.
    Peerless for tapping and slapping, brilliant for fingerstyle. Light weight, great neck, superb ergonomics.
    In short: a good bass.
  7. Spector, Spector, Spector!!!!! For your budget you could probably get a 6 string US bolt on number!!!!
  8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    True that. I've had mine about 6 or 7 months now. I'm liking it more and more everyday. I've been using it at rehearsals for my church group. I think I may just feature it this Sunday.

The action is incredible and smooth. It's punchy as all get out. If I play my Alembic and then my Hanewinckel, no problem adjusting. If I play the Hanewinckel, then the Alembic, I need a few minutes to adjust to the tighter spacing, slightly higher action, and heavier string tension.

I guess I'm an Alembic groupie and a Hanewinckel fan:) :) :)

9. How long does it take for a Hanewinckel to come to your door if you order one? I was on their site and I started drooling :eek: ! They have beautiful stuff there, I just wish I could play one. Ritter basses look amazing too. :p
  10. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    hey my friend from Slovakia Rep. maked awesome basses called K&K in a past and he can make u greaaaaaat bass for 1000$ and for rest u can try to buy george dennis amplification...
    nothing better than self made stuff.. iknow these ppl...and they are HIGH CLASS...

if u will contact those ppl...they will understand u those strange things on that easily like weight of boxes etc... that`s the best stuff
  11. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    One of these days I might know the answer to that. I bought mine used. Geshel and David Grossman may be able to answer that for you. Geshel has one on order now. I shouldn't be jealous, but hey......

I AM!!!!!!!!

12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Heheh. :) Looks like about a 3-4 month build time right now. A little bit longer than when I bought my fretted 6 in the fall of 2000, I think business has been good for Pete.

A couple of stores in LA have Hanewinckels in stock, or at least did (What's up with the Bass Exchange website, 6 months out of date?). But, you're in PA I notice. I took the risk and ordered one based purely on word of mouth and talking to Pete. Call me crazy, stupid, whatever :) but I'm happy to say it worked out. Love my 6. I haven't played many high-end basses but the action on mine is indeed great, and the neck is verrry nice. The frets are a little more rounded than most too, I think, which makes it smooth. Anyway I could go on for a while - but they're good stuff.
  13. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    i am just reccomending stuff i like.. u do not have to order bass over internet.. LOL..that`s impossible.. same like say in shop order me this bass..this type and check out only 1 model.. but anyways... u have to go for ur sound.. that`s always up to ya how with everything... damn..gotta go to recording.. kisses..