Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by viva death, Apr 26, 2002.

1. viva death

viva death

Apr 17, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    :oops: i know that you get this alot, but what bass would you recommend for a virgin bassplayer on about a 300$ budget?
    i will be playing mostly punk rock.

2. viva death

viva death

Apr 17, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    MIM?
    what about a squier? what are some pros and cons?

3. MIM = Made in Mexico

I like Squiers, but a lot of people around here don't like em. I think they are better than MIM Fenders, and some are even as good as MIA.

The best advice I can give ta is go out an play all you can get your hands on in your price range.

BTW, Welcome to TalkBass.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Just out of curiosity, CG, but why do you prefer the Squiers to the MIM Fenders?

:confused:

5. viva death

viva death

Apr 17, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    thanks, i was kind of leaning towards a p but i wanted to see if you all had anything against them

6. I was on a teenagers budget when I bought my first bass. Basically the best bass in my price range was the Squier. I played a few Squiers, and thought the one I bought was the best. It sounded great throught the "house amp" and the amp I purchased with it.

Since then, I've played several MIM's, and never really liked either the feel or the tone. I've also played several MIA's with the same results. For some reason, my Squier has been the best feeling bass I've ever played. I've played other basses that sound much better, but in the High End price range.

It might be that I have a really special Squier, because I've played some crap Squiers. I guess it's just my personal preferance. I payed $150 for a bass I prefer over most $300 basses.

viva, most punk rock and hard rock bands have played P basses at some point. Jazz basses are good, too. I prefer P basses over nearly everything else.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    OLP Stingray 4? $249 for a nice natural finished neck and nice bass for the $

DM

8. I agree with DarkMazda. The OLP MM4 is a good starter bass. I haven't played them side by side with the EB MM's, so I can't say how they add up against those.

I also suggest the Yamaha entry level line. I think there are a few RBX models in your range. Yamaha makes some high quality gear, and very competitive prices.

9. Viva, I gotta agree with ChaosG about the Yamahas. They are excellent basses at every price range. Go to www.musiciansfriend.com and type in, Yamaha bass* in the search window. You'll get 3 pages to look at and you should get a good idea of what you like. I own a BBN5 II - great 5 string, and it's only $399.00. The MIM Fenders are also very good.

Good luck,
    Mike J.
    * Go through the entire site when you have time.