Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommended 1st bass(fretless)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by qveda, May 6, 2002.

1. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi,
    I'm learning Stick, very much a novice, but have also become very interested in learning bass. I especially like the sound and subtlety of fretless bass. And besides, I already have a bunch of frets on my Stick ;-). I'd like to hear your recommendations on brand/model or features to look for in a 5 string fretless - under $1000 (or perhaps a higher quality one that I could find used for under $1000).

thanks!
    -Qua

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The safe bet would be a Fender Jazz. How many strings were you thinking? 4? 5?

3. $1,000.00 ? For a first bass? You don't have to spend that much to get something good. For $400 - $700 you can get something really nice. I have a MIM fretless Fender Jazz that was about $430 brand new with a hard case. I like it a lot, the only thing is that the pickups hum a little too much and it gets on my nerves. Go to www.musiciansfriend.com and type in, "fretless bass," in the search window and you'll see a bunch of stuff there. Although I haven't played one yet, the Dean Rhapsody frettless looks pretty good to me. Then again, I love semi hollow body basses.

Good luck.
    Mike J.

4. Try not to go with a lined fretless if can. You will be happier in the long run. The lines and dots on the lined fretless basses drive me nuts:eek: I wish Fender would stop making them with lines. Get a blank board with just the side dots.... I have two Fender MIJ Fretless basses. They are very nice . . Once you go fretless you will never be the same :eek: Good luck!