Recommended 1st bass(fretless)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by qveda, May 6, 2002.

1. qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm learning Stick, very much a novice, but have also become very interested in learning bass. I especially like the sound and subtlety of fretless bass. And besides, I already have a bunch of frets on my Stick ;-). I'd like to hear your recommendations on brand/model or features to look for in a 5 string fretless - under $1000 (or perhaps a higher quality one that I could find used for under $1000).

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The safe bet would be a Fender Jazz. How many strings were you thinking? 4? 5?
  3. $1,000.00 ? For a first bass? You don't have to spend that much to get something good. For $400 - $700 you can get something really nice. I have a MIM fretless Fender Jazz that was about $430 brand new with a hard case. I like it a lot, the only thing is that the pickups hum a little too much and it gets on my nerves. Go to and type in, "fretless bass," in the search window and you'll see a bunch of stuff there. Although I haven't played one yet, the Dean Rhapsody frettless looks pretty good to me. Then again, I love semi hollow body basses.

Good luck.
    Mike J.
  4. Try not to go with a lined fretless if can. You will be happier in the long run. The lines and dots on the lined fretless basses drive me nuts:eek: I wish Fender would stop making them with lines. Get a blank board with just the side dots.... I have two Fender MIJ Fretless basses. They are very nice . . Once you go fretless you will never be the same :eek: Good luck!