1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommended 5-string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluesbass99, Jun 9, 2014.

1. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm looking serioulsy into buying a 5-string bass. Currently, I have a couple of 4 string Fenders (a P and a J), and a Joe Osborn Lakand, also a 4 string. I heard someone playing a Spector Legend through an Ampeg 115 on Saturday, and I couldn't believe the clarity of the notes. The Spector has EMG active pick-ups. I'm considering Fender, Lakland (or the new Dan Lakin), the Spector I just mentioned, or any others that y'all would want to recommend. Cost is obviously a consideration.

2. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    Well, depending on your budget, I'd also take a look at some of the new Carvins coming out. Also G&L.... these two companies offer a lot of versatility, and you get to essentially design your instrument (especially with Carvin) also the price points are pretty middle-ground.

3. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    What's you price range?

My recommendations based on having owned/played them:
    • Mike Lull
    • Valenti
    • Carvin
    • Lakland Skyline

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'd look for something with EMGs if you liked the clarity of them, I am a big fan of their stuff too and haven't found a substitute for their tone and clarity. I'd vote the Spector if you like the feel of them.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you like the clarity of EMG's but also like traditional Fender tones, you might dig G&L's, either the L-2500 or M-2500. They're modern, but still have some old-school essence baked in. I have the M-2500, and it has a clear, even response all over the fretboard, with loads of sustain and tonal flexibility.

6. javadog

javadog

Mar 13, 2010
    You're in Atlanta? You can eyeball what they have at Guitar Center and if you have some money to spend be sure to go to Atlanta Bass Gallery.
    Looks like ABG has a new location. There is a big instrument market there in the city, so I would LOOK to see if there were any craigslist deals, but be cautious if you go to look at one---
    be sure to take another experienced player with you who can slap some sense into you if your eyes bug out, your hands start shaking, and you begin to salivate.

7. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Haha. Great advice about taking another person with me to slap some sense in me. Yes, I am big fan of Atlanta Bass Gallery. Almost everything I've purchased in the past few years has come from there. Great place and great owner. I would highly recoommend anyone checking this place out in person. It is worth the drive. (Sorry, this is not an endorsement in any way, but I believe in passing on great places to shop, and I just happen to live in ATL).

8. javadog

javadog

Mar 13, 2010
  9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    +1

I've got fretted and fretless USA L2500 plus a L2500 tribute as main axes. No, they don't do it all, but they do do a lot! the M-2500 is a tad milder and recommended if you want to push further into the modern region and/or hate lots of strange knobs and switches.

Used USA L-2500 can be a terrific buy if you find one.

10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Someone's already brought up G&L, so I'll just throw Schecter into the mix. I've got a Stiletto Elite 5er with EMGs that looks, sounds and plays very nice, especially for the money I paid.

TonyP- likes this.
  11. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Here are mine 2 G&L 1 Schector

Attached Files:

12. All good options--and I really like my EBMM SR5--but sounds like you really liked the Spector so why not get one of those?

bluesdogblues likes this.
  13. GRS4

GRS4

May 6, 2014
    Ventura CA
    Very happy with my 2 - EBMM Stingray5's
    Starting with a P-bass, when I was ready to move up to 5 strings, the MusicMan felt the closest to the P-bass.
    Body fit, the Neck (albeit and little wider for that B string). A True Leo Fender design.
    Some do not like the look of the PG on the Stingray 5's , but I personally like it.
    Flows with the shape of the body.

Tried quite a few different brands but came back to the Stingray 5.

They are all so good.
    So it's really a matter of what feels right to you and your taste in body shapes.
    Good luck.

14. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    IDK about your budget. But somebody put his Sadowsky UV5 Tokyo available for sale in classified for about 2K. I think it's an excellent 5 string bass. (Never tried it tho).
    Else than that, I second mastermold about Spector Legend if you already like it.

15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If you like your Lakland JO and don't want to break the bank, I'd look at a Skyline 55-60, 55-01 or 55-02.

16. Before you buy anything, go play different basses with different string spacing (16mm-19mm, usually) and see which feels the most natural to you. You will likely know it when you feel it. Then narrow your search to basses with that spacing. For me, I am fine with 18mm or 19mm, but 17mm and below is a no go, as is 35" scale. IME, the string spacing has a great deal to do with whether or not people stick to 5'ers. Good Luck!

17. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Nothing sounds like a Spector, Baby!

18. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Excellent point. I mentioned thé Schecter Stiletto because the OP was looking for a good value in a 5er with EMGs, but I replaced my own Stiletto because I found the string spacing too narrow for my right hand.

TonyP- likes this.
  19. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I bought this '99 SR5 for under $1K a little over a year ago. I can't imagine getting another 5 string. I'm another P player who loves the neck on the MusicMan.
    P1010005_zps9996d553.

20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    If your on a budget and like the sound of EMGs then Schecter is by far your best choice. They make one hell of a bass the money.