Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommended 6 or 7 string for smallish hands?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akuma12, Aug 25, 2003.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Anyone know of a midrange 6 or preferably 7 string bass with a fingerboard more accessible for smaller hands? (and no cracks about handsize, either!:D ) I tried a Conklin 7 string and I can JUST barely get my first 3 fingers up to the B string somewhat comfortably, though I lost quite a bit of speed. Just couldn't get over the range of notes I could get in just first position on the 7 though, and it was a ton of fun to play :) Thanks for all the help!

Jim

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

7 string, I would recommend the Conklin Groove Tools Bill Dickens 7. It has a narrower neck than the GT7.

For a 6, I highly recommend a Peavey Cirrus. I have very short fingers, but I can play my Cirrus 6 easier than a lot of 5 stringers.

3. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks embellisher! Do you happen to know nut width specifications between the GT-7 and the GTBD-7? Can't seem to find that anywhere on the web, unfortunately. Thanks again!

Jim

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Look at the Ibanez SR6. It may work for your small hands.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Peavey Cirrus has a nice neck for small hands, and ir is a really nice bass as well.

6. i also recommend the cirrus.

in fact, Progzilla has one that is in *mint* condition (still has plastic on control cavity and such) for sale in the for sale forum, good price too.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The SR6 is a good recommendation too, I have one of those as well. But the Cirrus is easier on the hands than the Soundgear.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't know the exact measurements, but the GT-BD7 is narrower at the nut than the standard GT-7. I owned a GT-BD7 for over a year; I have small hands and it was easy to play.