recommended amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joey101, May 19, 2005.

1. joey101

May 19, 2005
    Hi, I'm looking for an amp (I was on eBay actually) but didn't know what to get. So I thought some ppl here that have had experience could help :)

Any ways, I need an amp that isn't above... say about $200 (I would perfer $100 but I'm am not very knowledgeable when it comes to amps)

I don't need a loud one, as I usually don't play in front of more than 30 ppl :p
    But I would like good quality. Right now I just have a practice amp so I would like something with concert quality, just not concert loudness.

I would also really like some way to hook it up to my laptop such as through line in/out.

So what ever you guys that know about amps recommend. thanks!
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What do you play? Check out the Peavey TNT or some Fender combos.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Peavey TNT - good suggestion! Peavey has made some great amps over the years, and some of them can be had for a song (on eBay and elsewhere).

I wouldn't worry too much about the "line out", there's more than one way to skin that cat. Even if your amp doesn't have a dedicated line out, you can easily tap off the speaker with a couple of resistors, and get a signal that's perfectly adequate for your sound card.

30 people sounds like a coffee house situation, more or less - is it a smallish room or do you have to fill a lot of space with your sound?
  4. joey101

May 19, 2005
    ok, I'll check that amp out. Thanks.

I normaly play in larger buildings... somtimes in little ones that are maxed out (60 ppl). it realy varies. But generaly in larger buildings.
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Fender bassman 25, roland cube, peavy tnt.
  6. I would suggest saving up at least $350. It will open up a helluvalot choices.

But you may luck out. Just let us know what you are seeing for $200.

In the interim, you may want to consider a means to acquire some funds. Some people perform extra work for extra money. Others merely ask for it. You can do a little of both if you are gigging now (assuming you have a temporary amp).
    Perhaps a coffee can with a label affixed thereto bearing the following: "BASS AMP FUND. . .Thank You!" would help.
  7. joey101

May 19, 2005
    well, I can find a Fender Bassman 25 for a little less than $200 on ebay.

And actually, my band is more of a hobby. I program websites for the money to buy my toys ;)
  8. joey101

May 19, 2005