1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommended Chrome Glue?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nate B, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Nate B

Nate B

Apr 6, 2020
    Kansas City
    I have a chrome hipshot d-tuner and the parts connecting the worm drive/screw to the body of the tuner have disconnected (see image at bottom).

Originally only the bottom connector failed. I fixed only the bottom connector with Loctite super glue which failed in a couple days then with JB Weld Epoxy, which also failed in a couple days. The top connector failed as well around the same time after the JB Weld.

Any recommended glues for this fix? I have to be conservative with the adhesives since more adhesive will raise the screw, which should be minimized.

Thanks,
    Nate

20201217_002534.jpg

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I dont think that is fixable with any common glue, a lot of torque on that. If its a brass base metal, it might be possible to braze it, but that would destroy the chrome. Hipshot has a great rep for customer service, there's at least a chance they will replace it at a discount if it was defective, couldnt hurt to ask. If not, time for a new tuner.

3. I’ve never had superglue be more then temporary on metal. If you cleaned and degreased the joint and clamped it well the JB Weld should have worked about as well as anything could have. You could try another epoxy but you would have to try to clean the JB Weld off now. I agree with @Gilmourisgod, try contacting Hipshot and see if they sell parts or can otherwise be helpful.

4. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    you are SOL sir. the only fix is replacement of parts or the whole thing. braze will likely break loose and the process will cause other trouble, and no adhesives will help you here. chrome is notoriously slippery. it won't even stick to the materiel it's on without a flash plating of copper first.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Dubious Aa likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Brazing, after stripping the plating from both pieces to be joined would be the only way it might be salvageable. Metals, especially metal parts under tension/pressure don’t do well with cold glues. Not to mention the lack of space for any film thickness between your parts. Glues and epoxies have a ratio of film thickness to coverage area that has to be close to the design spec for it to work as advertised.
    The only other way you might try would be to drill and countersink the back side of your base plate then drill and thread your blocks. A combination of screws and some Devcon 2 Ton epoxy might do the trick.
    All that said, replacement is IMO your best option.

MattZilla likes this.
  6. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    the worm gear goes through both blocks. drilling and tapping them isn't an option.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    fhm555 likes this.
  7. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    The base under the broken off nubs looks rusty. This wouldn't be pretty:
    Carefully grind, sand or file to steel where needed and have someone place 4 tack welds on the broken off nubs-to the base.

Maybe just replace it.

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Lownote38 and wraub like this.
  9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree. The OP should contact Hipshot. Their customer service is top notch!

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Sorry, i assumed using a screw short enough to not reach the shaft would be a given, which is why i said a combination of epoxy and screws. Shallow screws will hold the blocks in place just fine but will doubtless be too short to handle any lateral pressure without shearing, thus the addition of 2 ton epoxy. Individually neither would work but used together there’s a good chance it might work.
    That said, if it was mine to fix i would have contacted Hipshot about the possibility of obtaining repair parts, or barring that a complete assembly. Rigging stuff is great if you have no options, i once did a roadside repair on a VW fuel pump using a long allen key to substitute for the pump rocker shaft but only long enough to get me to the nearest auto parts store. If i had no other option than to jury rig a D tuner, i’d do my best but only long enough to see it properly repaired, and i’d never consider using that bass in a performance until the issue was addressed.

11. Nate B

Nate B

Apr 6, 2020
    Kansas City
    Thanks everyone! They replaced it no questions asked a couple months ago.

Lownote38, RSBBass, wraub and 3 others like this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Now THAT is how a company builds a loyal client base, if its defective, replace it. It costs them very little, and just adds to their reputation. Ive called them a couple times with questions, they called me back the same day, sent me drawings, etc.

RSBBass and 96tbird like this.
  13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Hipshot definitely has long had a reputation for good customer service, nice to see it's still a thing.

Lownote38 likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021