Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommended delay pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Archia, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Archia

Archia

Nov 5, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Hey all. I've been wanting a delay pedal for my bass for a while now, and I think it's time I pick one up. Does anyone have any suggestions for reliable pedals around the 100 dollar mark (poor college student funds y'see)? I own a Rickenbacker 4003 series if that makes any difference. Of course as many seconds of delay as possible would be nice, and some kind of reverse feature would also be good, but definitely not required. Thanks in advance.

-Archia

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Danelectro Dan-echo. Great delay for the price.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ibanez DE-7 is pretty good, stayed on my board for a long time.

4. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    My roommate has an Ibanez DE-7 for his guitar, which I've been known to unhook from his setup while he's away and mess around with on my bass. It works great when I use my G&L in parallel with the highs boosted, but if you're looking to have delay on a muddy tone it won't work too well. Theres several others that I'm sure would work equally well or better, it all depends how long of a delay you want and what fidelity you want the proceeding notes to sound like. Some pedals have a wider bandwidth than others, which means they can handle more bass. If you don't really care if the bass is 100% accurate on the delayed notes, you could pick one of a large range of pedals. Check Harmony Central for reviews, I find them useful www.harmony-central.com

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sorry, but I would avoid the reviews at Harmony Central. They are either way too gracious or way too evil. Listen to the voice of reason here at Talkbass, and use your ears!

6. definetly an Akai Headrush. EXTREMELY long delay time. tap tempe. two different delay modes. lots of other features. and a really great looper.

7. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Don't forget to read between the lines.
    How a person writes about something can tell you lots on how you should take what they have to say...

Those reviews are a very helpful tool, either to limit your research before actually going shopping, or when you can't find a live unit around to try.

8. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Oh yeah, and I like the Boss DD series.
    I have a DD-2 and it's a very versatile and easy to control pedal. The only Boss pedal I've really liked so far.

I often jam with it by hooking another musicien's instrument or voice through it and manipulating their sound. That thing is almost an instrument on its own.