1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommended editions of the Koussevitsky concerto?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by tbassist4, Dec 11, 2006.

1. The title says it all, which one is the best to use?

2. Hal Robinson's or International's. Hal's edition gives a copy with his fingerings and bowings and a clean copy for you to put in your own markings. I think everything in his copy is what he did when he won the Philly audition.

3. Lemur doesn't appear to have either of these, where can I order them from?

4. hmm...funny how I missed that one, thank you! haha

5. I'm pretty sure you can only get Hal's edition from him. He publishes a lot of music. I can send you his e-mail address if you want it.

6. There is an excellent (as I've been told, I've always used the international) edition available through liben that's been edited by David Walter. It's worth seriously considering.

7. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The layout of the Walter edition is great, and the piano part is in orchestral tuning. However, I'm not really a fan of his bowings or articulations in some places. The same goes with his version of Schubert Arpeggione Sonata. Definitely worth checking out, but most recordings I've heard seem to follow more closely to the International publication of it. Just my $.02, though.

8. I'm not a fan of the Walter editions in general, and I only use the Koussevitzky by Walter because the accompaniment is written for orchestral tuning. The parts are completely cluttered with unnecessary articulations, bowings, and fingerings. I would think anyone who is capable of playing the piece would know how to come up with their own articulations, bowings and fingerings.

9. I'm not a fan of David Walter's edition either. He does some strange things. I worked on the Arpeggione this past semester and started off of his edition. I ended up changing a lot of the slurs and articulations. They didn't make much sense. His edition of the Koussevitzky Concerto seems to be the same way.

10. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    i have this concerto only in solo tuning, and unfortunately i can't change my orchestra strings.. so i'm looking for Koussevitzky concerto in orchestra tuning!!! it's very important to me.
    maybe somebody could help me with this? any recommendations.. ? :help:

11. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you already have the concerto, you can just order a piano score in orchestral tuning. You don't need to change your strings or retune. When you play in solo tuning, you're playing "as if" you were in orchestral tuning, so you don't have to relearn everything.

12. bassbass

bassbass

Dec 29, 2006
    London
    I would avoid the Walter edition, again same with the Schubert... I think he has tried to put his individual stamp on the editions but it just complicates it for students trying to study the piece, it is interesting to see but not to play from.
    You can order the Piano part from Liben, thats what i use when in orchestral tuning, although i always use the same solo bass part. Its a russian edition which is really good and has a green cover but i cant remember what the edition is called. sorry!