Recommended flatwounds for a reso bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jenny Landgraf, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Jenny Landgraf

Jenny Landgraf

Aug 8, 2019
    Anyone out there have experience with flatwound strings on a resonator bass? Wondering which ones might be the best to use considering the bridge/tailpiece on these.

2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Whip out the measuring tape and tell us the distance between the tailpiece and the nut (which is the minimum winding length you need) and between the tailpiece and the E string tuning post (maximum, even though a little untapered string might go on the latter, if need be, without ill effects).
    Then check your measurements against the winding length info kindly provided by TB member @SLaPiNFuNK (of FretNation.com):
    Bass and Guitar Strings, Amps and More from Fret Nation

If you want to maintain the clangy character of the instrument, the brightest flats out there are the Ernie Ball Slinky Flatwounds (AKA cobalt flats), or D'Addario Chromes (in both cases, pick your usual gauges, maybe down a .005" notch for the Chromes, to maintain the perceived tension you're used to); alternatively, the GHS Brite Flats (which are actually groundwounds).
    If you want to know how traditional-sounding (darkish, thumpy) flats interact with a resonator, the usual suspects are La Bella, DR, GHS and Pyramid.
    Sadowsky and Dunlop flats are kinda in-between, if I read reports right. Fender, Ernie Ball Group I to IV (non-Slinky, non-cobalt) and Thomastik-Infeld are on the...bright side. Rotosound too, particularly when new.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. Jenny Landgraf

Jenny Landgraf

Aug 8, 2019
    Thanks for the info! I'm actually looking for a more "thumpy" kind of sound, not extremely bright.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021