1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommended hollow body bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spiltmilk_2000, Sep 19, 2008.

1. spiltmilk_2000

spiltmilk_2000

Jul 14, 2008
    So, a friend of mine has an old 60's Gibson EB2 and its great! in a kind of one trick pony way... but its a very good trick!

Now, i've kinda got the feeling i want a hollow body in my arsenal but there doesnt seem to be a lot on the market to choose from. I'm kind of a traditionalist in what floats my boat aesthetically so dont want anything that looks too modern or peculiar... (im so shallow i know!;))

Has anyone got, or got an opinion on, the Epiphone Jack Cassady bass or the Gretsch BroadKaster?

what about any other suggestions of things i should consider??

thanks for any help you can offer!

2. paulerip

paulerip Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Aguilar, Ernie Ball, Spector, Seymour Duncan
    I have a Broadkaster and as much as I love the way it sounds and looks (I get more complements on it than any other piece of gear I've owned) it's built a little cheap for the price tag. That being said, it really does sound great. It can do a really mellow tone or with a pick it does a great job of emulating an Allen Woody or Berry Oakley thing. I would find one at a store and play it first as mine needed fret work right out of the box and I've had some other minor issues with it in the 3 years I've had it. Another note on tone with it - the only knobs that do anything at all are the volume knobs. The tone knobs must be purely for decoration.....

3. I have played both the Jack Cassidy and the Gretsch. I found the neck on the Gretsch to be a little thin for my tastes. You should check out the Lakland Skline Hollowbody which I think trumps the other two.

http://lakland.com/hollowbody.htm

Amazing easy to play instrument and very versatile...

4. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Jack Casady for me. Have 2, one with rounds, one with TI Flats. Love em.

5. Do you mind that the Jack Casady only has one pickup? Feel any need to add another or know of someone who has? The one pickup has always put me off.

6. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Absolutely not, 1 pickup is the ideal situation for bass. Look at the Fender Precision. Tried and true design. I think alot of us forget about how our tone suffers when we use two different pickups, both on at the same time. You get varying degrees of phasing, or rather, out of phasing ,with 2 pickups, which usually equal less chest thumping tone, and less true midrange. I think, for the money, these are expertly made, feature quality finishes, some of Epi's best fretwork and nutwork, and if you follow Jack Casady's setup on his website www.jackcasady.com, then you will be very happy with this bass.
    I will say though, that I have a dream, of a custom JC that would have 2 pickups, with 2 VariTones, going to one volume and one tone, and then a special XLR output, since its Lo-Z anyway, straight off of the Varitones, that would never hit the Volume and Tone, with the XLR output, right on the bass, so that when youre in the studio, or live, you can just plug straight up off of the pickups, with the truest, purest tone. But also, have a 1/4 inch plug for amp use as well. There you go, some one is going to steal my idea now, but if you do, at least make it White with Cream binding and Cream Inlays, and a Matching Headstock. Gold Hardware, or Black please, no Chrome on this baby.

7. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    The Jack Cassidy is a very nice bass. I know several players with them, and I've seen a few touring bands play them. I think the bassist from the Old 97's played one last time I saw him.

The Lakland is also a very nice bass, but I prefer the Dark Star models to the ones with the Bartonlinis. unfortunately, they don't make that option anymore.

8. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I thought Dark Stars continued to be an option available on request from Lakland.

9. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    It's a pretty expensive upgrade, but last I heard, it can be done. However, now they come standard with the new Chi-Sonics, which are a really nice set of pickups that have alot of similarities to the Darkstars.

As to the OP, if you've got the $ for a broadkaster bass, I'd definitely go with the Lakland. Gretch's are great, but the Lakie is a superior instrument all around. At it's price point, the Casady is definately the winner. It sounds great, and it's single humbucker is no limitation at all.

Below that, ($400 range) You have the Ibanez Artcores, Eastwoods, Samick Greg Bennets, which are all solid preformers. A used Dearmond Starfire is an awesome instrument if you can find one.

Below that, (under 400) you can find some neat, if limited gems from Jay Turser, Oscar Schmidt, Rogue and a few others.

10. I recommend Ibanez Art Core basses, either the older, discontinued full scale or the newer short scale models. I had one (long scale, single cutaway) and it sounded great. I got rid of it because the body had no contours and it wasn't comfortable for that reason. An EB-2 doesn't have contours either so that shouldn't bother you. They are well made, sound great and they're dirt cheap.

11. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm a huge fan of semi & hollowbody basses and have too many of them. Of current production the Epi Jack Cassady Sig., Lakland Skyline Hollowbody would be my two top contenders. Out of production but still around are the Gretsch G6072 and Guild Starfire II. These are all good with their own set of features and tone.

HollowbodyBasses011.

12. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Here's an Ibanez Artcore (the long scale, discontinued model). They have a great sound that gets even better with the pickup replacement. They play comfortably and are very well made for the price range. If I were interested in a semihollow right now, a DS's Artcore would be the best sub-$1,000 alternative. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500233

13. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Another couple of basses to consider would be the Washburn AB90 and the Yamaha BEX -4, both discontinued but you can find them used at reasonable prices. Build quality on both are excellent, but the Washburn is probably the better of the two.

14. Per usual, nobody mentioned one of the BEST basses - that ALWAYS get passed by. The DiPinto Belvedere - http://www.dipintoguitars.com/basses_belvedere-std.html

Has a very nice hollow tone, though the pickups are quite hot for passive pups. I also own a Lakland Hollowbody - both are extremely different in tone, and both are great in their own ways.

15. Get the Jack Casady sig bass.

16. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    If you can afford the Lakland get that, if not I would get a Epi JC, but on the Epi quality can vary somewhat or so I am told.

17. Yeah, similar to what others have said, if you can afford to, go for the Lakland. It seems to be the top contender on this forum. There are plenty of soundclips on Lakland's website. I've never played one, but man do I want one!

I've played the Jack Casady - which I thought was great, definitely not a one trick pony (as you said about the EB-2). It may only have one pickup, but the things you can do with that one pickup are great.

I've heard very mixed opinions about Gretsch basses. Tombowlus really likes his Broadkaster (I think), so that's gotta count for something. Anyone here who has managed to get their hands on the discontinued Gretsch 6072 has said great things about it. I think there's one person on this forum who has the White Falcon.

Pays to look around. There are a lot of small brands that do hollowbodies. Eastwood, Italia, Dipinto - a few people on here really like the Belvedere.

Check out the Hollowbody Bass Club. There's also long list of hollowbodies on my GAS list in my profile :help:

18. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That DS'd Artcore is an awesome deal. That's definately the best deal on a semi-hollow at that price. I have a similar long scale artcore (singlecut however) with a Jack Casady pickup/electronics package. It sounds superb.

The first gen artcore basses were really well made, but their pickup leaves alot to be desired IMHO. I hear the new ones are good too, but they are all short scale, and I've not had the chance to play one yet.

19. I love the look of the DiPinto Belvedere

But my holy grail right now is a Harmony H22. Short-scale, hollow, one pickup, nothing else matches what it does.