1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommended Ideas for Guitar Work Surface...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by asnutter, Apr 26, 2006.

1. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    Anyone have any great, ingenious, creative, (cheap), and functional ideas for a work surface for protecting the bass when on a bench???

Have considered:
    -a neoprene mat, but have no idea where to get one, and the expense involved...
    -a yoga mat, but dont want the video's and books that come with it...
    -garage floor fatigue mat...
    -flannel towel...

any ideas that work for you???

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
  3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use a piece of carpet.

4. Door mats.

5. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Carpet with a deep pile is not a good idea as it can trap small pieces of wood or metal that could scratch subsequent guitars and basses. A good work surface is one that can be easily cleaned of debris.

Jim

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
  7. the rubber style carpet underlay, very protective and you can shake off the debris after no problem, it's cheap, even the good stuff, or you can go skip ratting, even cheaper.
    and carpet when your down to final finish as it's softer and there won't be any debris.

8. petie-b

petie-b

Aug 24, 2005
    orlando, florida
    I have really limited space having to build in a 1 bedroom flat and i found that i use my ironing board, its height adjustable, padded and soft, not to mention its just the right length.

9. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I recently found the rubber liner for kitchen drawers and shelves to work great, it's almost foam like and little squares with holes in it. And best of all it actually grips the table and basses very well and protects them too. It's nice and cheap and comes in a variety of colors if that's important to you. I originally bought the stuff to make new mutes for my Warrguitar strings, works great for that too.
    Dirk

10. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    router pad

11. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I'm going to build a sanding/shaping station with a good exhaust system. It'll be good up untill finish. After finish and before final assembly I go into the linen closet and get two beach towels. Roll one up and place it under the neck close to the nut and one folded a couple of times under the tail. When your done that session thro it in the washer. My wife goes ballistic.:meh:

12. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    diggin' that idea with the ironing board...
    I like the towel thing, but you're right...the wife will go ballistic!!!
    The drawer liners were something I considered as well, because of the ability to roll it up and out, using the roll to support the neck...
    Great idea's, thanks!!!