1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommended iOS app for sight reading practice.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by AltGrendel, Oct 5, 2017.

1. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I'm looking for an app to help me with sight reading. This may be too much to ask for but I'd like something that isn't subscription based and covers bass and treble clef. A lot of this stuff that I've managed to find in the app store is obviously for a very young set i.e. "follow the bouncing frog" type stuff. I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount if it doesn't have in app purchases once bought.

:help:

2. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I guess I don't know what "in app purchases once bought" means. Have you tried Sight Reading Factory? My only complaint is that the melodies aren't particularly musical. You can definitely make the exercises difficult, although I use it mostly for practicing fretless intonation.

Have you considered notation software? If you enter notes in notation software, you can read lines that are useful to you. For example, melodies from the Real Book.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    So let’s say you buy the app, $10.00.
    Oh, you want bass clef? +$5.00
    Chord too? +$5.00
    Etc, etc...

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions, I will look in to them.

4. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I've never done that, but that makes sense thanks. I hope it works for you.