Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommended Listening for Folk Rock artists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

Do you have some recommended listening for Folk Rock? I have recently been getting into it and want to broaden my horizons. :)

2. Run Rig!

Scottish tradition style. I like some of their stuff...
    Loch Lomand is the song I like to listen to.. :)

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not sure if it's what you think of as folk rock, but Ani DiFranco is absolutely excellent-tons of albums out there.

4. Newer:

Kim Richey
    Patti Griffin
    Tracey Chapman
    Joan Armatrading
    Ben Harper
    Steve Earle
    Natalie Merchant
    Parts of REM
    10,000 Maniacs
    Lucinda Williams
    Duncan Sheik
    Red House Painters

Older:

Dylan - specifically, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, and Time out of Mind.
    Any of the 60's and 70's music of CSN & Y individually or together.
    Buffalo Springfield
    Byrds
    Early Joni Mitchell
    Early Dan Folgelberg - first two albums
    The Band
    Robbie Robertson
    James Taylor
    Greatful Dead
    Cat Stevens
    Leonard Cohen
    Paul Simon
    Loggins and Messina
    Michael Penn
    Edie Brickell
    Al Stewart

And I've missed a bunch I am sure.

Now Spinning: With The Beatles, The Four Tops, The Ultimate Collection, Artur Rubinstein, The Chopin Collection, The Mazurkas

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bruce Cockburn. Try his early stuff. particularly look for the live album "Circles In The Stream".

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Hell yes, Bruce Cockburn. Phenomenal musician.

Jack Johnson is a new guy who be somewhat classified as folk-rock from what I've heard of him. I like his stuff.

Some of John Hiatt's music may be considered folk-rock. He is an excellent song writer and worth a listen regardless.

I heard there's some cat named Bob Dylan that is supposed to be pretty good.

7. Some Jethro Tull could vaguely fall into that category, namely "Songs From the Wood" and "Heavy Horses". Both albums were just remastered and sound better than ever. They might be a little heavier and more progressive than what you're after, but I'd definitely give them a listen if I were you.

8. THE BAND THE BAND THE BAND!!!!

Oh and for folk/punk rock (if you're interested)

Swingin' Utters!!<---Outstanding!

Against Me!!!<---Incredible

9. What about the late Jim Croce - is he folk rock? Definitely worth a listen to...

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

By "Folk Rock" I thought you meant Social Distortion, or the Pogues.

11. Phil Ochs.
    Much of his music is not really "folk", but he was considered just as important a voice of conscience as Dylan in the 60's and early 70's. Plus, Ochs could sing. ;)

Also:
    Steeleye Span
    John Prine

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Tom Prasada-Rao "a voice like cream of angel soup"
    David Wilcox (pure genius)
    Trout Fishing in America (they play kid songs for grownups and grownup songs for kids and make it work)
    Michael Elwood (especially scarecrows prayer, and one too many questions)
    Pierce Pettis (legacy...just wow)
    Chuck Brodsky
    Cliff Eberhard
    Jana Stanfield
    Karen Taylor-Good
    Christine Lavin (if you can listen to her and not smile you need to adjust your meds)

13. Id recommend a lot of the late 60s West Coast U.S bands. They were all originally very folky, then discovered acid, but all of their recordings have a folk rock type theme to them. Check out:

Jefferson Airplane (first 4 albums)
    Quicksilver Messenger Service (first 2 albums)
    Greatful Dead (Workingmans dead especially)

Finally, I'd suggest Fairport Convention. They were originally quite rocky, then turned folky when Sandy Denny joined. I like there self titled debut album, which is a folk rock mix, but their fourth album 'Liege and Leaf' is widely regarded as the ultimate folk rock album.

Lastly, listen to Led Zeppelin III, when they turned folky.

Hope that helps.;)

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I had forgot there are several(at least four) artists named David Wilcox. The one I mean is from (I think)Asheville,NC,USA.

HIs first CD is called 'Nightshift Watchman'. It's pretty good. But his second, and first major CD 'How Did You Find Me Here?' is incedible. His later recordings are a little bit variable. But his worst stuff is still very good. 'Home Again' and 'Big Horizon' are very worth-owning.

15. Bob Dylan, though it really goes without saying. He is my favorite artist and I've been lucky enough to see him live three times and own about 30 of his albums. Check out the albums:
    Time Out Of Mind (his best)
    Blood On Tracks
    Desire
    Bringing It All Back Home
    John Wesley Harding
    Blonde On Blonde

Oh, and I almost forgot about Leonard Cohen! He is terrific and second only to Bob.

16. Forgot an important one: Harry Chapin - great story songs.

17. I would add Dave Alvin and CPR to the folks that have already been mentioned.

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks to everyone! This is very, very helpful!

As a side note, people have been asking me if I am heavily influenced by Leonard Cohen. I think it's my voice. :)

19. On the more indie rock side of things:

Iron and Wine
    Damien Jurado
    Red House Painters
    Will Oldham/Bonny Prince Billy/Palace
    Songs:Ohia
    Early Day Miners
    Smog

20. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Steve Goodman
    Woody and Arlo
    Joan Baez
    Peter, Paul, and Mary
    Melanie

And for humorous folk, check out the Austin Lounge Lizards.