1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommended OD for GK 700RBII and SBX+ Cab

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChrisCYWG, Dec 8, 2006.

1. ChrisCYWG

ChrisCYWG

May 22, 2006
    Winnipeg
    Hi,

Like the topic says, just looking for a good OD pedal for my setup.. any using the 700RBII have any recommendations?

I am currently looking at 1 of 3:

Sansamp (Rack or Floor)
    Diesel dawg
    MXR M80

Thanks in advance!

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Uh... all three will work great. The important question is: What kind of sound are you looking for? Those are three very different pedals!

Without knowing your sound goal, we really can't help you much.

From personal experience, the SansAmp Bass Driver DI (or BDDI, as it's often called) is an excellent overdrive with a great feature for blending the clean and affected signal. However, it's a tube emulator... it's great, but it's essentially the opposite of the GK sound, because it's striving for an Ampeg SVT tone. Excellent for providing a dramatically different "tube-amp" tone, or for going 50/50 between the two. Best places for it: classic rock, Tool covers, and anything that requires an extra-warm, tube-like tone.

The Diesel Dawg is essentially the reason why I eventually sold my BDDI: my amp (a 2001RB) has the Diesel Dawg's circuit as an overdrive channel. The Diesel Dawg is the perfect compliment to any GK amp if you're looking to get the sound of the 2001RB, without spending a ton of money to get that amp. It can get mild warm overdrive, gritty modern tones, or over-the-top distortion while still remaining clear.

The MXR M-80 is, in my opinion, too harsh in the distortion channel, but it has a great clean channel. I found the color switch to be a bit redundant, as GK amps have a contour dial that works better for coloration, IMO.

3. ChrisCYWG

ChrisCYWG

May 22, 2006
    Winnipeg
    Hey,

Yeah guess I should have specified!

Playing a variety of music, mostly 80s metal.. Maiden, Metallica, ACDC, Priest, Metallica, MegaDeth, GnR... all that kind of music...

Does anyone have a sound sample of the Diesel Dawg?? I've been looking but never found one..

Thanks!

4. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Hmm... either the SansAmp or the Diesel Dawg would work great for 80's rock and metal (I'm into all of those bands you listed!).

I should have some time during the next few days to record some overdrive channel samples direct from my 2001RB. The only difference I know of between the two circuits (2001RB and Diesel Dawg) would be the Mid knob, which my overdrive channel doesn't have. In the meantime, pester the Diesel Dawg owners about sound clips :D

5. ChrisCYWG

ChrisCYWG

May 22, 2006
    Winnipeg
    Thanks...

So this is probably around the forums and I will read... but with regards to the Sansamp...There is the BDII, and there is the RBI rack mount with 2 more knobs.. and then a programmable BDII.. whats the general consensus on all of these units??

Chris

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    For opinions on the SansAmp bass units... you'll need to use the search tool on this forum, as each one's been discussed in great depth, and you'll find a LOT of info in those old threads.

To say the least, the BDDI and its programmable brother are VERY popular here, as is the rackmount RBI.