Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommended oil for gut strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by buffalobillh, Aug 5, 2005.

1. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    I've been told that walnut oil, sesame oil, almond oil, etc. is great for gut string maintenance. Lots cheaper than the "special formula gut oils" I've seen, too. Any recommendations? Any one of those work better than another? Anything else to consider?

Thanks,

Bill

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Any straight mineral oil is best, IMO. Affordable and easy enough to find, just grab a bottle of baby oil next time you're at the store. Other oils, such as plant- or animal-derived, run the risk of getting funky or, at the very least, smelling like something you'd rather not smell on your bass and hands every time you play. HTH...

3. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've used lemon oil which also has a pleasant smell.

4. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    Thanks, Brent. I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to gut strings. I'm going gut, and I sure want to do proper maintenance. I've been doing research, but this is the first I've heard of baby oil. Makes sense to a gut string dummy like me. Cheap, too. I play tuba, and anything organic used as lubrication on valves, slides, etc. is an absolute no-no. Funky is the right word, not to mention lack of function. If my bass smells like the beer I spill on it, I can deal with that. If the organic oils have a strong smell, I'll pass. I can imagine craving a Whopper while playing on my sesame seed flavored strings. :D

Bobby,

I use lemon pledge on my tubas. No residual smell. I'll have to smell lemon oil to see how strong it is.

Bill

5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    A very experienced (and famous, insofar as it's possible) baroque cellist I know told me that she's found almond oil to be the best thing for gut strings. I can't say, since I play Animas, but just passing it along.

6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    I know Jack uses poppy seed oil on his Clef Guts. We also sell a surprising ammount of the Clef Gut Oil. Barefoot Larry of Tradition Music also sells some 100% Neats Foot Oil. Lots of choices out there!

7. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    don't you mean "olde" with an e?

8. Back in the olde days, we would rub a Brazil nut on our guts.

9. How about emu oil? That's supposed to be some amazing stuff, and it would probably be good for the fingers as well as the strings.

10. Would you then rub the same nut on your strings?

11. What part of Brazil do you find these nuts?

12. Barump, tada! Thanks!
    I'm here through Saturday.....try the veal.

13. Also, Barump, tada! And thank you. I'm here through Saturday. Try the veal.

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I prefer 10W30...

15. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    But only Mobil 1 synthetic -- makes the strings go faster...