recommended rack-mount bass effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrWr0ng, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, I did a search on bass effects but couldn't find anything on a recommendation for rack-mount effects. Right now I've got pedals, a boss EQ pedal, a boss Delay, a Wah, a volume, and a distortion that I never use (guitar distortion, i just can't get the tone to work for me).

I've gotten a full rack setup with a WT400 as my preamp, a mackie poweramp, tuner, compressor, EQ, etc, and I want to switch to a solid rack mount effects system with a pedal so that I could set up (preferably) 2 different delay settings, a flange/phaser, and some kind of distortion. I'm not sure what brands are good and what kind of price I should be expecting to pay, but I'll probably look for a deal on ebay (that's where I've gotten everything else thus far)

Thanks a lot for the help
  2. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I have a peavey bass fex that I got for $50. it doesnt have a phaser or flanger, but you can create a comperable patch with the pitch shifter and maybe the chorus. The distortion sucks, but the overdrive is ok. I use it mostly for the delay and the envelope filter. They are the most powerfull. It was designed as a stereo preamp, it even has a crossover. The unit has lots of EQs including a decent 4 band perametric eq. If you find one, make sure it has the pedal board with it, because I cant seem to find one.
    I know its not really what you are looking for, but if you can find it really cheep its worth the trouble. Make sure you have lots of time on your hands, there is lots of tweaking involved with this thing every effect has perameters out the rear. If you have LOTS of time you can get great sounds(for digital), but deffinantly not by accident.
  3. Talk about resurrection - this gem from 2002 pretty much hits the nail on the head for me too - rack multi effects units... thoughts? Recommendations? I would be looking for something that has a little bit of everything - distortion, envelope filter, fuzz, chorus, phase, flange - and let's pretend that price is no object, though it would have to take up only a single rack space.

I haven't really heard anyone talk about rack effects units, and I know there just may be a good reason for it, but... anyone have experience here?
  4. I'm not too into these multi units, but check out TC electronics!
  5. I use a Boss VF-1 that I like very much.
  6. Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    TC electronics for guitar is pretty good, most of the effects carry over to the bass pretty well, but your best bet for this is either an SWR Mini Mo or a Line 6 Bass pod Pro.
  7. + 1 to the VF-1.

I had one some time ago and the effects are really nice.
    IMO it's way cooler than the POD.
  8. kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    POD, TC Electronics, or find an old school Nightbass...

You may be surprised with the Nightbass... Plenty of effects, though some say major tone suck...

I personally like the stompbox route. I can swap some out for others, and that seems to work well for me, without having to create other patches... But to each there own...
  9. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Art SGX Nightbass is a great unit. I customized some really good sound from it. With the x 15 pedalboard, it is a pretty useful tool. I put my custom fx in banks 180-200. 20 to choose from. The hardest part is remembering the number. Still need to fine tune and group, but I've only had it 10 years.
  10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    In that case, Eventide Eclipse.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Boss VF-1 is hard to beat.
    Boss still hasn't replaced it by the way.
  12. rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Have you thought about rack-mounting your pedals and using a swithching system to access different combinations?
  13. stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Another using and liking the Boss VF-1. And you can use a midi footpedal to jockey through banks and settings.
  14. SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    I use the POD Bass XT Pro. The Amp mods and FX are great . Easy to use.
  15. 0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    hey guys not to hijack thread im looking fora distortion rackmount unit, anyone know one?

i may be getting a 4 unit rack second hand and am intrested what kinda effects i can get?

16. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I used a TC G-Major years ago and it was "ok" but it takes a while to really sit and learn how to program it. I didn't have the patience, but if you're into that you can find them fairly cheap on ebay.
  17. uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Generally most distortion/overdrive circuits aren't complicated enough to warrant an entire 1u space - part of a multi fx unit mostly.

And wow, this thread spans 6+ years.
  18. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I should re-phrase that....the G-Major was better than ok, it sounded really good. I think I let my lack of patience get in the way of tone-judging.
  19. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Wow, I F'd up. I thought I was responding to the OP and then realized how old it was.
  20. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.