1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommended recordings with electric bassists playing straight-ahead jazz

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jtegnell, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jtegnell

jtegnell

Oct 5, 2004
    Can anyone make any recommendations for recordings of good electric bassists playing straight ahead jazz?

Electric bass seems to be such a rare instrument in anything other than fusion or more "modern" styles of jazz.

I'm very fond of McCoy Tyner's Double Trios -- Marcus Miller plays beautifully on Loverman and Rhythm a Ning.

Is there anything along those lines anyone can suggest?

Super thanks in advance!

2. eggfan

eggfan

Sep 20, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Steve Swallow with Gary Burton?

3. jtegnell

jtegnell

Oct 5, 2004
    Anyone else? I'm not a big fan of picks with basses to be honest.

4. eggfan

eggfan

Sep 20, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Clarinetist Eddie Daniels has some pretty straight-ahead albums using electric bass. I would recommend "To Bird With Love" with John Patitucci and "This Is Now" with Jimmy Johnson. But you do have to deal with the typical GRP "sheen" to appreciate that the music is mainstream (and acoustic, aside from the bass -- Eddie is a clarinetist, after all. And quite possibly the best jazz clarinetist ever).

5. If you can, find a copy of 'tuff dude' by Buddy Rich. Really stupid name for a record, really good record of straight ahead jazz. Anthony Jackson on bass, even takes a couple of solos. Also features Kenny Barron and Sonny Fortune.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I second the steve swallow suggestions.
    For "straight ahead jazz" I'd suggest "real Book", "Deconstructed", "Always pack your uniform on top" or "Damaged in transit".
    #John Scofield's "En route", Shinola" and "out like a light" are rather good to I recon.
    A disc I listen to a lot at the moment is called "noisy old men" with John Abercrombie, Miclk Goodrick and Gary chaffe.
    You'll find it here:
    http://www.garychaffee.com/books.htm

7. +1 Swallow is awesome, but that's more of a guy with a unique instrument and playing style more trying to emulate a DB type tone. I dig the notes, but not the sound so much.

For a more traditional EB approach in a more straight ahead setting, Anthony Jackson's work with Michel Pettruciani is amazing IMO.

Check out the 'Trio in Tokyo' disc with Gadd and Jackson. It just SWINGS IMO.

8. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Everybody needs to listen to the amazing Dave Carpenter on electric in a jazz setting. Granted the guy played upright 75% of the time, but nobody plays six string electric like him.

Also check out Dario Deidda who plays mostly electric on this album.

Don't forget to check out Bob Cranshaw with Sonny Rollins.

My old bass teacher Dave Levray gigs regularly with Rob Mullins and is on his album Standards and More playing electric bass the entire album.

Happy listening!

Preventer likes this.
  9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Did Jeff Andrews ever record with The New Standards Band? I always thought he had an exemplary feel for "traditional" jazz, one of the few electric bassist I can say that about.

10. I've seen him swinging live, and +1 on that. Not sure about recordings with him.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Jaco's Big band, (The Birthday Concert C.D.)
    Any Mike Stern CD. (plenty of great bassplayers)
    Steve Swallow.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This is one of my favorite CDs.

13. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    Try "meeting of the spirits", "open country joy" or "birds of fire" (by Mahavishnu Orchestra). The basslines aren't super hard but I'd call it straight Jazz.

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Baron Browne swings his butt of on the live Steve Smith 'Jazz Legacy' CDs.

15. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    That's a pretty...uh...charitible definition of "straight jazz".

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Jeff Andrews is the shiz, highly underrated.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well those tracks are on a lot of lists of classic Fusion - i.e. not straight ahead Jazz!! :p

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Great stuff - lost of fusion type stuff and funky lines - in fact anything but straight ahead Jazz!! :p

19. eggfan

eggfan

Sep 20, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I just played an album I hadn't heard in awhile tonight that made me think of this thread - at least if the line between "straight-ahead" and "fusion/more modern" styles doesn't fall precisely on the fault line between acoustic and electric. It's "Again and Again" by Chick Corea, which is pretty mainstream playing, IMO, despite the use of electric piano and similar electric sounds by Chick. The bass player is Carles Benavent, and I think his fretless playing is pretty impressive. If others would place this in the fusion category, my apologies (it's straight-ahead to me, if contemporary), but the guy's smokin'. Any other fans of his playing around here?

20. I think there is an issue with the definition of 'straight ahead', which to most of us means 'pure swing' (i.e., medium cocktail swing, big band, hard bop, whatever... swing being the key).

That being said.... +1 to Carles BURNING with Chick. I was very lucky to see that 'Flamenco' tour in Detroit, and I'm still thinking about it two years later. It defined 'Burning', and I agree with you, it was something totally unique and hard to classify.