1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommended rig for a jazz/funk player

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lorenzini, May 1, 2006.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys.

I play jazz half the time and funk the other half. Operating off of a cheapo Behringer 12" (actually it's really loud and serves its purpose :) ) and a borrowed Markbass combo (simply awesome). I've played Ampegs (like em) and GKs (clanky, don't like them) before.. Marbass really does do it for me but they aren't available yet and are kind of pricey.

Looking for a head/cab or nice combo that could fill small to medium large venues.

For what it's worth I play a Lakland Skyline JO5, Yammy TRB6P and Yammy BB1600 most of the time.

Thanks guys! I'm only a year and a half into bass, but gigs are rearing their beautiful heads and I need help on this spectrum of the equipment side.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    on a budget?

ashdown.

have a money tree?

epifani

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    On a budget absolutely.

Why do you recommend them?

4. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    If you want to get useful answers to this post try being more specific in what it is you are looking for.

Here are some questions you should answer:

1. What is your budget?

2. Are you considering buying used gear or only new stuff?

3. What type of tone are you after? (tube/solid state, dirty/clean, etc.) Is there a certain sound you want?

4. How flexible do you need the preamp to be? (hybrid, 3 band parametric, bi-ampable, DI out, etc.)

5. How big is your band, what type of music (you answered this), do you have PA support, and what are you competing against on stage (a shredder w/ Marshall stack, etc.).

6. Do you want a single cab solution or a more versatile multi cab setup?

7. How important is weight and portability?

I'm sure there are other things to consider, but this should be a good starting point. Answer these questions and maybe you'll get some recommendations from rig masters like Bowlus or Jung.

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    If you like the MarkBass then get it.

It IS available but you need to order from Canada. No big deal.

Click here.

If this is too expensive for you (it is for me right now) then it would really help to know what your definite budget is.

:D

Joe.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hehe, sorry for the curt response, but...

ashdown's EQ system is great for getting that fat lower mid chew for fingerstyle, and the subharmonic button is great for adding extra thump for thumbing and the like. and best of all, the MAG series are an incredible value.

as for epifani, pretty much self explanatory. :p

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I play an Eden WT-550 head Bergantino HT112 cab. It's all I need for all but the loudest of gigs - and then there should be a PA.

You don't need a huge cab or 1,000 watts. Spend your money on good quality (used or new) gear that will sound good, is versitile and easy to haul around. Your future back and ears will thank you.

I've had the big rigs and don't miss them at all. I sound far better now than I did back then.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    while, i agree to a point, maybe the word of advice should be get as much wattage as you can afford.

lower frequencies need power to push out properly, and the more the better the punch, grunt, tightness, and general bass bidness. :p

9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I really like the Aguilar GS 112's I have. LOTS of sound and tone out of those puppies. I'm running 400 watts max into the two of them and I doubt I'll play where I need more than that.

On the amp side, I really liked my Ashdown head, but I'd go with the ABM 500 rather than the 300.

Nice thing about that setup is that you can buy them used and save some bucks. I would rather have a higher quality rig for my $$ spent than the "new stuff smell."

Dan K.

10. wat a coinkydink. im saving upt for a WT-400 or 550 (w/e comes up at a decent price here or on the bay) and a bergie HT112. HI FIVE

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Those are great questions for establishing a starting point for recommendations! That said, I play very little funk (though I played jazz for several years, but not recently). With that in mind, I'll defer to funk master Ken Jung, but I warn you! Half of what Ken says, I agree with 100%, the other half, I disagree with 100%! ;):D Ken and I have very different styles and preferences, and we like to give each other heck about it sometimes, but seriously, he is much more experienced with this type of music. :)

Tom.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 on providing feedback regarding the question list (price, etc.).

Also, I never found a 'type of music' recommendation as useful as a type of sound. Funk is obviously a genre that includes almost all sounds available... (think George Porter, Bootsy, Marcus Miller.... totally different sounds, techniques and approaches IMO).

So... how much do you want to spend, and who are your favorite players... are you looking for an old school PBass flatwound fingerstyle thing, a 'different' old school Marcus roundwound aggressive tweeter sizzle thing, or maybe a 'new' modern roundwound thing ala Alain Caron or Norm Stockton:)

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I probably sound like a broken record some days, so take that for what it's worth;)
    The Thunderfunk amps have a freakin' huuuuge wide eq section that can help you dial in about whatever kind of sound you like from snappy slappin funk to deep fingerstyle funk and jazz. They are high power super flexible work horses, for sure.

Picking a cab is sort of much more of a personal decision. I really like the Schroeder stuff, some folks don't. Plenty of reading material here on both.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point, Ken! :)

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    This is probably why some bassists bring 3KW systems... to bars ;)

My main big rig is ~400w. I could afford more. It isn't warranted.

Get what you need to comfortably push the speakers you decide to use.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    too true.

17. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    bootsy funkswith his space bass with 4 pickups(Low, Mid, High, Ultra High): For the low-end pick up he uses two 4x18 speaker cabs, one on each side of the stage. For his mid pickup he used two 4X15 cabs on each side For his highs and ultra-highs he used four 8x10 inch cabs...

and he uses alembic preamps and 2 Crown Macrotech 5000s and 2 3600's

yeah thats funky.

18. One of my favorites, but Boy! am I glad I've only heard his records! If he were playing anything smaller than Wrigley Field I'd be bleeding out of every orifice.

Back on topic. I just got a Genz Benz GBE600 from Muscians Friend tonight. $499 with free shipping. If price is an object (and it is for me) it is a heck of a deal. The amp has great tonal shaping, although I've only had a chance to play it in the living room so far with a 6 meter instrument cord. I think I'd still rather have a WT550 or a Thunderfunk, but I couldn't resist the price and I feel very lucky.

19. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Find a Acoustic 370, or 360 head, and match it with a 2-10, or 2-12 cabinet. You will save money, get all the power you need for most gigs. I play mostly Funk, R&B, and smooth Jazz, and I have the 370/301 rig, but for most gigs I use my Peavey 210tvx with my 370 head, and funk the place up.

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Have you A/B'd the GBE600 and the TFunk?