1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommended seller in Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Sep 13, 2008.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I just bought a vintage 70s Yamaha "Superbass" from this guy in Japan. It arrived today, very cool instrument. Here is the one I bought.

Here's his bass list. Not all in stock but he's good about responding to e-mails.

Here's his Ebay store. Mostly guitars plus a really cool Yamaha Superbass similar to the one I just bought.

Just wanted to pass this along because he has some very cool stuff that was really only intended for the Japanese market. Nice guy and good communicator, checks his e-mail a lot.
    His shipping is "free" and it only took 4 days to get here from Japan. Be prepared to pay customs fees (mine were only $39.04.)

2. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Very cool, thanks for being the TalkBass guinea pig!
    It can be dicey dealing w/overseas sellers. I had good luck the one time I did too.

Now we need a Superbass report. I had an early 80's BB300 and it was a solid axe.

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I took it in for a setup so I'm waiting to get it back before I give a full report. But the little I played it at home it had great tone, nice chunky (thought not uncomfortable) neck. Rather heavy gloss finish on the back of the neck that I was thinking of taking some steel wool and sanding it down a bit. Controls appear to be a volume for each pickup and then a tone knob. Body has sort of a weird profile, it almost looks like an upside down lefty bass. Almost like too much body in the upper profile above the pickups but not really uncomfortable. Bass is pretty heavy much like many of these old Japanese basses were. But it's built like a tank.