1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommended soft case

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pecBass, Feb 26, 2016.

1. pecBass

pecBass

Jan 22, 2013
    DFW
    My iby SR premium came with a soft case and the pockets have ripped out. I have a great gator hard case but occasionally need a soft case as they are a bit smaller and easy to cart around.

Recommendations?

2. I've got a Mono M80 Vertigo case for my Jazz Bass (Vertigoâ„¢ Electric Bass). It's not cheap, but it is light and offers great protection.

3. pecBass

pecBass

Jan 22, 2013
    DFW
    Looks like a great case, wow $250. Y get what you pay for though...

gsgbass likes this.
  4. Yep. The cost is a little embarrassing. On the upside, I don't worry about the guitar being safe!

gsgbass likes this.
  5. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

I'm using a MONO M80 Vertigo soft bass case as well. A strong, well constructed soft case.

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I have a Mono M 80 and a Protec Contego.

The Contego is on sale now at ebags for $118. This case is very well made and worth every penny at full price of $140. At that price it is unbeatable as far as bang for the buck.

BurningSkies and revroy like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Gator Pro Go. $150 but I've seen them on sale for $100. What I like about them is how when you zip it closed the walls become very stiff...plus it comes with a, free rain coat.
    35kr1av.
    The ProGo series gig bags are designed to be tough, stylish, and packed with features. The ultra-thick padded walls of this gig bag protect the sides of the guitar while the super soft micro-fleece interior fabric nests the guitar providing maximum protection. The ProGo series gig bag also has an adjustable, micro-fleece neck brace as well as a substantially protective bottom pad that protects the guitar from unexpected drops. The fully adjustable, thickly padded, back pack straps with heavy clips make for very comfortable transport. The oversized front pocket of the Gator Cases ProGo gig bags can hold a laptop, tablet, pedals, cables, and tuners. The large front pocket also has a smaller secondary pocket for storage. The bright red interior not only provides a splash of color but also offers better visibility in dim lit situations. The amount of storage that this gig bag provides is unbelievable.

8. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    The Reunion Blues Continental is my favorite. Like the others above, it's a soft case with a rigid outer perimeter. Light weight, excellent protection. I ship all the basses I build in them, and I have several that I use for my personal gigging basses. One of them has about six years' use on it and it's still almost like new.

9. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Mono, Protec, Fusion, Reunion Blues Continental, Sadowsky If you want light, then Fusion. If you want all around good quality, Mono and Protec. If you want absolute protection then the Reunion or Sadowsky.

I have them all. Reunion is my favorite but I use the Warwick Rockbag the most since it's light.

10. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    If you want the best of both worlds(the protection of a hard case with the light weight of a soft), go for this, only $89.00(on sale for less from time to time), one of the best cases out there for the money:
    Gator Lightweight Case - Electric Bass Guitar

11. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
  12. pecBass

pecBass

Jan 22, 2013
    DFW
    The mono looks pretty good, i see bassstringonline.com sells them, don't we get a tb discount with them?

13. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I have a Mono M80 Dual and two Protego Contego cases. The Protecs can often be found in the $85 range if you watch them on Amazon or eBags and are great bags. Having both, I normally reach for the Protec for gigs; excellent cases for not a lot of coin.

14. BlueMINI

BlueMINI

Sep 10, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    There are some excellent suggestions mentioned already... however, one of my favorites is missing: iGig Cases I've got two iGig soft cases: the G515 and G525. My favorite of the two is the 525. New, they run about $150. They feature the best interior protection I've seen. The exterior is very well done, but the winner there goes to the Reunion Blues Continental. Now if only the two joined forces... :D

Two other great options would be:
    The RB Aero (lacks any real pockets, but protection on par with the Continental, and it's slim and compact.

Finally, Carvin/Kiesel's "Ultimate Soft Case." If you can get over their brand being prominently displayed it's a real gem ;)

If you like, more info can be found here:Bass Guitar Adventures: Gig Bags that Rock! iGig & Reunion Blues

And here: Bass Guitar Adventures: Instrumental Protection for the Minimalist

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    +1 on the Mono. It's a great case. And yes, we do. :)

16. I've owned many of the ones mentioned and really like the Protec Contego. Regardless of price, I would choose it over the Mono M80 or the Continental.

The Access Level 3 and Level 5 are also really cool. I'm pretty sure that the Carvin Ultimate bag is a rebranded Access level 3. For more expensive and custom made, check out Cronkhite and Blue Heron.

17. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Another vote for the Mono M80. You should be able to get it for 20% off on musicians friend. Definitely worth every penny.

gsgbass likes this.
  18. pecBass

pecBass

Jan 22, 2013
    DFW
    Most of soft cases should be much smaller than my gator hardcase. Need to fit in my vette trunk... The hardcase won't fit.

19. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    The Mono M80 and Vertigo are 2 different cases. Just for the record.

I like the M80 better than the Vertigo. The M80 with the Mono Tick add-on is how I roll everywhere. Between the Tick and the pocket on the M80, I can put my bass on my back and push my amp and have everything I need for a gig in one trip from the truck.

I got my most recent M80 from ProAudioLand.com. They beat everyone else's price and were great to deal with. I would call or email them to get the best price. Tell them you heard about them on TalkBass.

If you want to save some money, I don't think anyone mentioned Carvin. They have a gig bag similar to the M80 that looks pretty darn nice and for a lot less money. For me, it's all about having the Tick, so I will be sticking with Mono.

20. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Anyone with any experience with the GruvGear GigBlade?