Recommended string gauge for EADGC tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vindibona1, Apr 21, 2019.

1. There's another thread in a different section discussing Bach Cello suite. I've been trying to learn it on 6 string, but my fingers just won't stretch far enough on the 6er to play it smoothly, so I'm contemplating converting my TRBX605 to EADGC tuning as the neck is much narrower and will give me a better shot at musicality.

With that in mind, what string gauges are preferred? Does one just shift the usual gauge strings down one slot and then add the C?

What do y'all think?

2. Yes, that's probably a good place to start.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You're overthinking it.
    If you already have a 6 with strings you like use the same ones minus the low B.

Aidil and Jon Moody like this.
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    Hm yes i can't see the difference between BEADGC and EADGC, just don't use the B or add a string mute for it?
    Anyway, buy a 4 string set and add a single C, moving strings over may not be possible due to tuner post distances from the nut.

5. It makes sense to do this, but in my case my left hand isn't making the string spread to play it the way I want because of arthritis. I've been practicing with the 6 string but I can't just lay my fingers down as if I was playing arpeggiated chords. Sounds choppy. I thought Adam Neely did the piece justice.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I meant use the same gauges on your 5 as you do for the EADGC strings on your 6.

7. I see IZ... of is it LZ?

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Is your 6 a 35"er? What's the string spacing?

Does playing Bach Cello suite requires you to use the low-B string (a lot)?

Unless you've been practicing it on a 35" or longer scale 6er with 18 mm or wider string spacing and you often hit the low-B string, playing the composition on your (34" 18 mm) TRBX 5er tuned E to C won't let you play any less stretch, cause you aren't reaching the low-B either.

Maybe you could think about getting a medium scale 5er, like the BTB845V which came with E to C tuning (or could be any other shorter scale 5er), that will really allow you play with less stretch.

9. My 6 string is a Ibanez GSR206. Nothing fancy. I've replaced the preamp with a 3 band. Picked it up with a nice Gator case for $100. I played an Ltd 6er not too long ago that had much wider spacing.
    • Scale: 34" (864mm)
    • Width at Nut: 54mm
    • Width at Last Fret: 83mm
    • Thickness at 1st Fret: 21mm
    • Thickness at 12th Fret: 22mm
    • Radius: 400mm/16"
    206B_body.jpg
    Gio_6_1412.jpg

10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    then it's just what I've suspected...

IMO, converting your TRBX 5er with E-C tuning (with the correct string gauge) won't make you play the Bach composition any less stretch than on that GSR 6er. Cause, since you've wanted to change TRBX tuning/strings from B-G to E-C, which means that you weren't utilizing GSR the low B for playing the composition, thus there was never any need for your hand/fingers to stretch more to reach the low-B since you only need to play the first 5 strings. Even more so since the GSR has tighter 16 mm string spacing vs. 18 mm on the TRBX, your hand/fingers will require less stretch to reach to the 5th string (the low-E string) on the GSR than on the TRBX (after you change its tuning/strings).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  11. It's about string spacing and the bit of extra stretch needed that my semi-arthritic hand can't do... at least right now. Maybe working on the piece will help get that extra flexibility? Below is a photo of Adam Neely playing (and the video of him... gosh does he play well!) so you can see what I'm going after, positionally and musically. Just to be clear, my issue isn't stretching over 4 or 5 frets vertically, but across multiple strings as illustrated in the photo.

Bach_fingerspread.jpg

12. Here's what I'm trying to find an easier way to do... The bass note has to be allowed to sustain through the 8th notes and I can't think of an alternative. Yeah I can "squeeze" into that position, but I can't flow into it. Not sure if I'll even be able to do that with a skinnier neck. Maybe I can restring my Jazz 4 ADGC? But at this moment the path of least logistical resistance is to try to work the the GSR. As you can see the vertical spread combined with the horizontal reach isn't so great. I'd love to be able to get my 3rd and 4th fingers to get closer to the frets- comfortably if at all.
    cellosuite_fingers.JPG

13. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    Ok. But the only difference between playing the top 5 strings of BEADGC on 6 and playing EADGC on 5 is having to mute the lowest string, you could add a single-string mute to do that since you're not using the B. Otherwise there is no difference. In fact, 6 string basses have closer string spacing than 5s so it will be easier to play the top 5 strings of your 6.
    Both basses are 34" scale too.
    Your logic doesn't seem to make sense =)