1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommended String Gauge For Melodic/Solo/Upper Register Playing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GonzoBfiddy, May 8, 2018.

1. I am considering converting the tuning on my G&L L2500 5-String bass from B-E-A-D-G to E-A-D-G-C......mainly for soloing, recording, etc. I've never owned (or even played) a 6-String bass and I'm not sure what guys who play those things prefer when it comes to playing in the upper register. I have used what I believe is a medium gauge set of (DR) strings on that bass since I've had it (.125 to .45) I believe the next gauge down from the G to C string that DR makes is .30. Do i have any other options? What do you guys recommend. Also, are there any other potential issues I need to account for here? I don't plan on changing the nut (not initially, anyway) and I have always strung this bass thru the body. Any recommendations are welcomed!
    Thanks!
    Gonzo

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    For me, on my 6 string (and 7!), I prefer a lighter set than what I put on a 4 or 5 string. A 30 will be fine, although I know that there are also other options (27, 32, etc..) depending on string type and brand.

I use a 30-40-55-75-100 setup and it works really well and sounds great.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Considering your usage, low tension, and preferably a light-top set (non-existant, need to build it from singles), like .095 .070 .050 .035 .025.
    EDIT: This has tension falling steadily and slightly from low to high.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    However that is quite light, the next tighter set i suggest is .100 .075 .055 .040 .028, that has equal tensions on each string.
    Almost all string sets are not optimal for melody/soloing/chords and are either middle or top-heavy, and are very much dictated by decades-old tradition instead of rationality. I highly recommend experimenting with singles to fine tune a set to what works for you.

Last edited: May 9, 2018