Recommended String Gauge For Melodic/Solo/Upper Register Playing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GonzoBfiddy, May 8, 2018.

1. I am considering converting the tuning on my G&L L2500 5-String bass from B-E-A-D-G to E-A-D-G-C......mainly for soloing, recording, etc. I've never owned (or even played) a 6-String bass and I'm not sure what guys who play those things prefer when it comes to playing in the upper register. I have used what I believe is a medium gauge set of (DR) strings on that bass since I've had it (.125 to .45) I believe the next gauge down from the G to C string that DR makes is .30. Do i have any other options? What do you guys recommend. Also, are there any other potential issues I need to account for here? I don't plan on changing the nut (not initially, anyway) and I have always strung this bass thru the body. Any recommendations are welcomed!
    Thanks!
    Gonzo

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    For me, on my 6 string (and 7!), I prefer a lighter set than what I put on a 4 or 5 string. A 30 will be fine, although I know that there are also other options (27, 32, etc..) depending on string type and brand.

I use a 30-40-55-75-100 setup and it works really well and sounds great.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    Considering your usage, low tension, and preferably a light-top set (non-existant, need to build it from singles), like .095 .070 .050 .035 .025.
    EDIT: This has tension falling steadily and slightly from low to high.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    However that is quite light, the next tighter set i suggest is .100 .075 .055 .040 .028, that has equal tensions on each string.
    Almost all string sets are not optimal for melody/soloing/chords and are either middle or top-heavy, and are very much dictated by decades-old tradition instead of rationality. I highly recommend experimenting with singles to fine tune a set to what works for you.

Last edited: May 9, 2018