Recommended strings for an Ibanez SR305 fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MX21, Sep 3, 2009.

1. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I just picked up an Ibanez SR305 5-string fretless in pearl white. It's missing a string, so I need to get some replacements.

What are good strings to put on this? Flats? Rounds? Would prefer a brand that keeps the B string fairly tight.

Thanks,

MX

Edit: not sure if this should go in "Basses" or "Strings", so if it's in the wrong place, mods please move.

2. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Mmm... did not know Ibanez had a 5 string fretless in the SR300 line. Just bought an SR300PWF ( 4 string ) new. The pearl white part has my attention as are you sure this is not a SR300 with a 5 string mod? Not that knowledgable on Ibanez product range, if you post the seriel number or first part only if concerned...may be a little more clear.

FWIW i have other Ibby SR basses here and can post string sizes as required...

Regards John

3. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Not a conversion. It's an SR305PWF. Found this link to it:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Sound-Gear-5String-Fretless-Bass?sku=580830

Serial number is I 0904..., so Indonesian factory, April 2009.

4. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Well i learn something every day! You did very well to pick that Ibby up, would have bought a 5 over the 4 purchased only a month or so ago. Well i have the string sizes on spreadsheet here for the SR705 and the SR706. Which string size do you require? If you measure the exsisting strings and post the sizes we can work out a suitable match from the spreadsheet or string suppliers data.

See you would like to perhaps put on a new set of strings, the D'ddario rounds mine came with are ok. Though when a change comes i will most likely use Elixir or Roto RS66. DR's are regarded well on this forum.

** Let me know if the bass does not pan out for you, would be interested in last refusal. Sure you will like it anyway....does the Ebonol f/b have witness marks already on this bass?

Regards john

5. :O wish I knew about that. I would love one.

6. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I've been watching for one of the 5-string Ibanez's on craigslist for a while now, when this one came up. It's basically new. The guy said he'd only played it about 3 times. Fretboard looks nice. Only thing was the missing string, which he borrowed to replace one on another bass that broke. The other strings still sound like new. So for $135 with a gig bag, I thought it was a good deal.

According to the Ibanez site, their 5-string basses come with .045 .065 .085 .105 .125 sized strings. Doesn't say what brand.

I've got some D'Addario EXL170-5 and GHS Bass Boomers on hand. Both of those are .045 .065 .085 .105 .130.

If they come with D'Addarios stock, then maybe I can just put on the E string out of my EXL170 set.

If I don't like it, I'll let you know.

MX

7. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    MX,
    Your a cany lad, what a great deal!!

The SR300PWF here, has a 83 ( 0.083 inch ) A string and a 106 E string. D'Addario label attached to the bass from new. Usualy Elixir on SRxxx late model basses? Not sure what your missing, E by your last post perhaps. The slight difference in guage dimensions are possibly from me using a vernier caliper to measure the actual string in several places.

While i would love to have a bass like yours, i do hope you find it a pleasure to play and find new ways and sounds to play with it.... know i like mine very much. If that day does not happen for you, would be glad to have your PM about thw SR305. REgards John

8. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Forgot to follow up that I ended up getting DR Hi Beams Stainless Steel 5-string .045 - .125. They sound great on the fretless.

MX

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021