Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

##- recommended Upgrades for SX -##

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Hello everybody

I just bought an SX '62 Preci on ebay. I already have a Yamaha RBX760 and i liek it a lot, but at the last gig i broke a string and i want a backup-bass.

Which upgrades shall i get, which are the most useful ones? Tuning-pegs, Pu's, bridge?

Thanks for every reply

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Strings and pickups will give the two most noticable changes. If the hardware feels solid, I would leave it, too much hassle for too little gain. I don't know if these basses have proper shielding, but if not the tone will benefit greatly from that.

3. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    #1 - A new set of strings
    #2 - A good setup made by a professional.

I think these are the two basic things to start from. Later you can change the pickups, but someone once a/b'ed the original P pickups with fancy ones (I'm not shure if they were Dimarzios or Fender CS) and posted some sound clips. I couldn't notice any difference between them.

Watch out... You might end using your Essex as your main axe! :D

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You cannot beat a really good set up. It is probably the best thing you could do. Other than that, Pick Ups, a nut to replace the plastic one, A Bad Ass II bridge, etc.
    I think that the first things to do are the easiest and cheapest. Then play it for a while to see how comfortable you are with it. Then change things as you go along. Before you know it though, you will have sunk enough money into your cheap bass, that you could have had an expensive one. :D

5. Okay, thanks for your advice... a set of new strings it is then.. although i usually just buy the cheapest nickle-strings i can find in a music store.

I do have a wilkinson 3d-bridge from a bass i once made and now dissembled, i maybe will put it on, just for a change.

What do you think, how would a MM-Style bridge sound? Cause that's my main concern... i don't really like the vintage-fender-style bridge.