Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommended woods for a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Dec 3, 2003.

1. any suggestions on what kinds of woods to use and why?

specify for neck, fingrboard body and top.

i'm thinking about having a carvin 5 string fretless made but if i do i wanna make educated decisions on the wood types.

any thoughts on bolt on or neck through?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like maple fretless's but ebony fingerboards are also very popular. For neck thru vs bolt on, it depends what sound you are going for. Mine is a bolt on and is punchy and doesnt have a great deal of sustain on fretted notes. I like the sound and am happy. But if you want it to have more sustain and a smoother , flowing sound, i would get neck thru.

3. Different woods can have a definite impact on the overall tone of the bass. Generally, the harder the wood, the brigher the tone. The good people at Warmoth have a page that describes some of the most common body woods, and their tones. Obviously, different woods will also have drastically different grains and appearances. Note that very thin exotic wood laminate tops will have a small, if any, effect on the bass' tone.

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/bodies.htm

[​IMG]
    Treena