Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recone it yourself?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Apr 13, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If I buy an EV reconing kit off of ebay, will I be able to do it myself or do I need specialized equipment?

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Don't try it yourself. Its not as easy as you think and the 25 bucks it costs to have someone else to do is well worth it. Its kinda like replacing a head gasket on your truck for the first time, with the tool set you got for High School graduation. The tolerances are very low and yes, some special tools are in order. Gap tool, Bostic glue, Tone generators and so forth, not to mention the "craftsmanship" that goes into assembling a good speaker. Little mistakes in the recone process can lead to a terrible sound. JBL recone techs spend a week being taught how to do it correctly, I assume EV just as picky.

Hopefully I scared you enough to call around your locale to find a recone center.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yeah, you scared me. Thing is, it's not a speaker I need right now, it's one that I've had sitting around for awhile waiting to be reconed and I wouldn't even cry if I messed it up so I thought this might be a good opportunity to learn.

4. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    Listen to Droog. Practice and lots of it makes perfect doing recones. If you don't get it just right, you might as well have not done it.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This may be a better path to follow:-

http://www.recone.com/education.htm

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks for the link. The ebay seller says he doesn't know if it's the right kit for my speaker, so I'm probably not going to do it right now.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Perhaps you could consider getting the video only, and using what it teaches you on your EV.

From what I can tell, the hardest part of the whole process is getting it perfectly centered. The video covers that.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've repaired a couple of speakers where the magnet assembly was snapped off...one was a 10, the other an 18.

To reattach the magnet, I needed to remove the motor...that is the whole cone, surround, voice coil and spider assembly, before gluing the magnet assembly back on.

I mainly undertook these projects because 1) I'm a tightwad at heart and 2) the technical experts that I asked said that my chances of success were quite low. I did get some nice words of encouragement from someone at Eminence though.

The most critical points in a recone appear to me making sure that the voice coil is properly centered and that it is properly aligned in the magnetic field.

Both rebuilds turned out fine, but I've also had WeberVST recone a bunch of EVM 15s for me because the labor cost is really nominal and I know that they're going to do a great job.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Well the kit ended up going for almost $50 + shipping, so I don't think I would've saved much money between that and the video -- it should cost less than $100 to have a pro do it, right?

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is your EV an 18? If it's a 10,12 or a 15, WeberVST does a fine job for less than $100. Plus being a loudspeaker mfr. themselves, they go above and beyond what most recone shops can do. Weber doesn't use an OEM kit but that hasn't been a problem for me...and they don't do 18s...

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes it's an 18 :( No biggie, it's been sitting around for a year so it can sit awhile longer.

12. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I've got a pair of 160 watts Radio Shack Mach-1 speakers that need the foam replaced. Does anyone sell foam kits for a 15 inch?

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Woofman...did you check Partsexpress.com? If they don't have it, check on ebay for recone or refoam kits. While you might not find that exact kit there, you might end up with a link to a shop where you can buy the materials...