1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reconfiguring Ashdown into custom case. HELP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SIDEWAYZAC, Dec 7, 2011.

1. SIDEWAYZAC

SIDEWAYZAC

Dec 7, 2011
    Hey Guys,
    I have an Ashdown Electric blue 180 combo, but as some of you may know this is a crazy heavy amp. i want to reconstruct the head unit into a custom made case and then use the speaker to make my own cab just to cut down the weight, and as im starting to gig a bit more i want something more portable.
    My idea was to take the electronics out of the head and just move it into the new case. but as i opened it up the whole front panel is one circuit board, so i cant do that, there are some controls and input/outputs i dont use or want, so my question is, does anyone know how to take these unwanted sections off the circuit board and is it possible to make the circuit board shorter/smaller to make the finished product more compact.

Ive attached some pictures that will proabably explain/show you what im talking about a bit better.
    The ones i dont use so want to get rid of are the effects send and return, the sub harmonic button and pot and i would prefer the DI on the back, the input lights the inputs and the input gain i would like moved in to make it more compact.

Yes it would probably be easier to buy a head and cab but i am completely broke so am trying to do the best with what i have. i have friends experienced in metal/plastic work so can help me with a case that looks finished and not amateur, but my electronics skills leave very much to be desired so i need your help.

Thanks in Advance

Zac

Attached Files:

2. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    I've owned the EB180 15 inch combo, it's stupidly heavy.

I've taken apart my MAG300 head multiple times, it's the same as the EB180 inside.

It's worth rackmounting what you have in the pictures (or in a custom headcase) but it's really not worth pulling the thing apart.

Any more questions, feel free :)

3. SIDEWAYZAC

SIDEWAYZAC

Dec 7, 2011
    Ah so you feel my pain... literally i dropped this down the stairs onto my chest and bruised a few ribs, thats what prompted me to think about downsizing, i can afford smaller but cant afford the quality i want, so wanted to save for something good while re doing this one.. guess i will just have to wait. thanks for the comment though, much appreciated :)

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I did this to a combo.

Not an Ashdown, but it's close cousin a Trace Elliot. Just build a wooden shell for the head to slide into. I used the same screws on the top as it had in the combo.

Don't try to remove all the parts from the head. It will screw it up.

In my case I did it so I could use a different cab with the head.

5. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    This ^

If you put this in a wooden 2U rack case or something similar, you will have a perfectly working head.

If you pull it apart and succeed, you will have a head which would either be very small and have cooling issues, or something that isn't much smaller than the original piece.

If you pull it apart and wreck it, that's one less head you have.

It's not worth the risk.

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You'd have to be a very skilled engineer to do what you're asking. And that amp isn't worth the trouble. Putting the head portion in it's own case, as is, is the best you'll do.

7. SIDEWAYZAC

SIDEWAYZAC

Dec 7, 2011
    Alright Guys, thank you very much, i will just case the head as it is and keep saving for a new one,

got to say this is my first post on these forums and your all very helpful,, thanks :D

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If you like the head there's no reason to get a new one unless you need something with more power.

I use a 150Watt Trace Elliot head from a combo that I put in a box with a Mesa 4x10. I never have an issue with needing more power, and usually am asked to turn down!

Just because you are making a box for it doesn't make it less than a real head. Ashdown was started by former Trace guys after Gibson shut down the plant.