Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reconing a 4x10 & at 4 using 8 speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cowsgomoo, Mar 25, 2004.

1. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    can I have your thoughts on this one, guys?

I have a 4 x 10 cabinet that i'm looking to recone. I'd like to use 8Ω speakers, but have the total load on the power amp as 4Ω, so I can get more power out of the amp... i'm presuming (correct me here), that if I treat it as two 2 x 10 cabinets of 8Ω each, this would be possible...

can anyone guide me in wiring this cabinet, so I have ONE speaker lead plugged into the cab from the power amp, and the cab provides a 4Ω load (using four 8Ω speakers)?

I'm sorry if this sounds long winded, but i hope you understand what i'm trying to ask...

cheers!

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It can't be done.

With 8 ohm speakers, you can make a 4-10 cab in the following impedances: 32 ohms, 8 ohms or 2 ohms but NOT 4 ohms.

All 4 in series: 32 ohms
    All 4 in parallel: 2 ohms
    Series/parallel (wire each pair in series, then connect the two piars in parallel): 8 ohms

To get 4 ohms you need to use either 4 ohm or 16 ohm drivers.

If you're actually reconing your speakers, just have the reconer use a 4 ohm recone kit instead of an 8 ohm kit.

3. As I understand impedence wiring and 8 ohm speakers. Your choices with 4 x 8 ohm speakers is 2, 8, or 32. 2 would be everything in parallel, 8 in series parallel, and 32 all in series. You could also do something like 3 in series with one in parallel and come out with like 5 ohms ( I'm not sure as I've forgotten the math ) but this wiring would not work well because the one speaker in parallel would be much louder than the other 3. I think the only way to accomplish your task is to either use 4 or 16 ohm speakers. Wire the 4 ohm speakers in to series parallel or the 16 ohm all in parallel. Help me out here guys........

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    aah.. I get it now, thanks guys!