Reconing a Hartke 410XL Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RoosterRusek, Sep 23, 2003.

1. RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    Folks, I am finally tired of trashing the cones in my Hartke 410XL cabinet and am considering reconing with 4 brand spankin' new Eminence Kappa Pro-10A's. I queried about which ones and these are the ones they suggested (of course they sell them). I cannot seem to let the Hartke cabinet sit there useless, and hopefully I will at least have a decent non-blowing up practice has anyone reconed their 410 cab with anything like these Eminence cones?

Many thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    About a year ago I fried all of the voice coils in one of my Aguilar 4x10 cabs, and replaced them with Eminence Kappa Pro 10's. The result was the cab became heavy as hell, much less efficient/volume than before, and a big loss of upper midrange and highs coming from the speakers (the highs from the tweeter were still there, of course).

Also keep in mind that your Hartke cabinet isn't tuned for those Kappa Pro speakers, and the resonant frequency will be off. The result is that you might get severe over-excursion at lower frequencies, and even though the Kappa's are much more robust than the Hartke cones, they might be more apt to blow as a result . . .

You're looking at about $325 to get four Kappa Pro 10's to put in there. I'd suggest you invest that money in a used cabinet that is tuned to accept the speakers within. Just my opinion having done it . . .
  3. RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks a bunch for the info...I kind of figured that it might be a bad idea and that for the money I am sure I could find a decent used cab. I appreciate the warning

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you could get a avatar cab on ebay...
    whats wrong with the speakers? and is it all 4?
    shot me a pm..i may be intrested in buying it