Reconing an Ampeg B25B cab questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi guys,

I have recently picked up a B25B cabinet that needs reconing. It's original speakers were made to accomidate a 55w tube amp. I spoke with a local shop and they say that they can recone the speakers in such a way that they would have higher power handling.

In case you are not familiar with this cab, it's a late 60s or early 70s 215 cabinet in a 5.3' box with a single 2" x 4" rectangle port.

How would one do that? Also, if you do that, what effects might you feel on the tone?
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Maybe they would put in a beefier voice coil and suspension? The shop could probably tell you. One shop I'll always recommend is Orange County Speaker ( in Garden Grove, and they're not too far from you.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks for the recommendation Bob. They are, in fact, who I was talking about. :)

I took them in yesterday and they said it would be a week and a half to get the parts and fix them. I fixed the grill cloth too. Man, that red velvet was giving me flashbacks of the 60s, and I wasn't even born yet!