1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reconing EVM 15-B with 15-L kit?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kurosawa, May 28, 2012.

1. IIRC, the only difference between B and L is the cone, but I want to check first.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The entire recone kit is different. The main difference between the B and L versions is the L has a much lower Qts, which a different cone alone would not result in. That low Qts also chokes off bass response, so consider your choice well.

3. Thanks. I've had 3 cabs with a L, a Mesa, an old Peavey (one Hartley got on the phone to talk to me about--he'd built it in his garage) and an EV B115-M. Never had a B nor wanted one, considering that neither Mesa nor EV saw fit to put one in their bass cabs. Especially Mesa. You'd figure they'd guess lots of their customers would dime the bass.

I'm sniping a Music Man 115 RH 65 with a B in it (the ink stamping is blurry in the pic, but it more resembles a B than a L), mostly because it will slide into my Cobalt's trunk (as would a tone ring Showman bottom if shortened a little, but I don't have the faintest how that would sound). I once owned a MM 212 and, except for being a 212 (and heavy, must've gone 100 lbs) it was an intriguing piece of gear.

I hope this 115 will sound OK. I saw a B vs. L comparison post that said the poster couldn't hear the difference when playing bass through them.

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    In the same cab you might not. The difference with the higher Qts of the B is that it will go lower if mated with the right cab.

5. I've got a Fender cab that has Fender-labelled EVM's, the Fender label on the drivers say "15F". Aluminum dust cap but otherwise a EVM. Any idea if it's closer to a B or an L ??

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I've never seen any specs on the Fender EV.

7. Bill, I have a Q. Frequently I'll consider replacing a bass speaker. If the cab was designed to take the stock speaker, and if I can get the spec sheets for both the stock speaker and the proposed replacement, what figures should I be looking for to see if it will be a successful swap and why?

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Different Bill here but Fs, Vas and Qts are the ones that largely dictate the necessary cabinet volume and tuning frequency.

9. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Many have reported Eminence 3015 serves as a decent replacement for EVM 15s in TL606 cabs.

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It will work, but not as well as a purpose designed cab for the 3015. The TL606 was designed around EVM specs, which are quite different than 3015. TL606 is 3.2 cu ft net tuned to 55Hz, the 3015 works best in 2.8 cu ft tuned to 45Hz. You can alter the tuning of the TL606, but IMO the 60 pound empty weight of the 3/4" plywood 606 cab is a deal breaker.
    All of them, modeled in a box program to see the low frequency response and displacement limited output, while comparing the SPL charts to see how they compare above 200Hz.

11. mikepaulhamus

mikepaulhamus

Jun 26, 2011
    that's not true the only difference is the cone the b has a smooth cone and the l has a rigged cone. the recone kits use the sam voice coile 2.5 inch , same spider, just a different cone. I have both speakers and have reconed both. I turned one l version into a b by removing just the cone with a b cone and reattaching .

12. mikepaulhamus

mikepaulhamus

Jun 26, 2011
    best thing to do with all original speakers from your cabs is recone, the speaker was designed for the cab it was put into. when youbuy another speaker it will not sound as good , there is 1 speaker out right now that you can drop right into the tl606 cab and that is eminence kappa pro 15 a it has almost the same xmax and frequency response.

13. mikepaulhamus

mikepaulhamus

Jun 26, 2011
    eminence kappa 15 a would be the best for you. they drop right in and the bass will sound a little deeper and tigher

14. mikepaulhamus

mikepaulhamus

Jun 26, 2011
    the b sounds a little deeper but loose the nice midrange from the L

15. mikepaulhamus

mikepaulhamus

Jun 26, 2011
    it's a L labeled F for fender, the cool thing is the aluminum dust caps beleive it or not add a cool midrange bell type sound that regular dust caps don't. but not real noticable to some people. I took one of my old evm 15 L's and removed and replace the dust cap with a tin one and sounded way cooler

16. mikepaulhamus

mikepaulhamus

Jun 26, 2011
    software helps alot with this stuff but it will come down to you ear , amp, and bass also. clean tube power will make these cabs sound cleaner at higher watts, these 606 cabs with the evm 15 L's in them only show about 176 watts to them before distorting. but like tube amps they distort and break up nice.