1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

reconnecting wire to pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by the wako kid, May 21, 2012.

1. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    My precision body is due to arrive any day now and I have prewired pick guard that I had the pots replaced on etc.

unfortunately,it got knocked around a bit and a wire came off of one of the split coils. it looks like it was glued in but I don't see any metal where the wire was making contact.should I scrape off some of the excess glue and try and find a contact point or just glue it back in the same spot and hope it contacts?

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Sorry, but the situation doesn't sound too good, it's possible you've ruined the pickup and will need to buy another one. Very unlikely that gluing the wire back on will fix it. It would help if you could post a clear, close-up, in focus picture of bottom of the pickups. There should be a brass grommet on the flat fiberboard where the pickup wires are soldered, if you are skilled at soldering you (or your local guitar tech) may be able to re-solder the wire back on there. You can buy a replacement P-bass type pickup for $33 from GFS/Guitarfetish.

3. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    it was a junky squier pup,I suppose it wouldn't be too big of a deal to get a new one. I don't understand why it was glued at all.that's ****ing ********.basically the wire got torn out of what looks like some gorilla glue,so I think anything I do will be an improvement.I am pretty sure that no one just glues the wire into their pups,but then again I've only really looked at duncans.