1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Record Breaking Bass!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Mar 22, 2006.

1. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    thats strange. what a fish.
    too bad its dead.

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Holy crap! It's so fat it looks fake. Where was it caught? I heard that they were expecting the next record largemouth to come out of California. Up here 4lbs+ is a nice sized bass.

3. ^It was in or around San Diego. Check the link under the picture. It says Dixon Lake, I don't know if that's in San Diego, but it's from a San Diego news source.

4. Damn I though that this would be about the brown note. :D

+1

Look at that! He killed the biggest bass in the world. That's....good? :meh:

I better go get my fire extinguisher. :bag:

5. Meh. The sturgeon we have up here are too small to keep if they weigh that much.

Rock on
    Eric

6. Well Sturgeon are in a class of their own.
    If I was this guy, I would've caught it, kept it alive, and fed it until it was like 35 pounds, THEN I'd stick a hook in his mouth and say I caught him.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey smart guys, try making it through the first sentence in the article:

bc

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's because it's a female full of eggs.

I'm sure the sturgeon that they have in California are bigger than a bass as well.

bc

9. Unless it's JT's monster bass.:D

Rock on
    Eric

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Why wouldn't they allow it? Would it be because of the eggs inside?

11. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I heard on a show that it wasn't "properly" weighed and measured, so it probably wouldn't get the record. That article seems to indicate otherwise, however.

12. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    California Fish and Game (or whatever is their "DNR") state that for a fish to be "legally" caught it must be hooked in the mouth while going after a lure. This guy snagged this monster in the side. The catch is that they have to determine whether or not this guy did it intentionally, and if he did they would disqualify his fish. If he didn't intentionally snag it, which I believe he didn't, then this is a new world record. Depending on how it was weighed of course.

AuG

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Thanks. I didn't know that there were rules about the way it was caught.

14. How do you intentionally snag a fish in the side!?

15. Multiple trebel hooks without bait. When I worked for GI Joes I helped out at the ODFW counter.

Rock on
    Eric

16. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Just north of here there's a place called Waukeegan Harbor where the salmon make their runs in the spring (and fall?). Anyways, I've gone out there with some friends during the run and thrown a treble hook with about a half ounce lead splitshot attached to the hook itself. The hook is actually a treble hook with one individual hook cut off to make room for the weight. Basically, you throw your line out as far as possible, then crank it back as fast as you can while yanking the rod every other crank. Last time I went we caught 6 coho salmon with the biggest one being about 15lbs. There's nothing pretty when you land these foul hooked fish either....lots of blood....but we take 'em home with us anyways so it's not like we're just killing fish and throwing them back. Sometimes it's hard to find a place to fish up there because it's gets crowded with people who are doing the same thing as us. It's no longer "fishing". We call it "snagging". :)

I'm sure there's going to be some anti-fishing nut out there to accuse me of animal abuse and torture and bad morals now...I guess that's what happens when you answer an honest question. :rolleyes:

AuG

17. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Looks heavy... I hope it doesn't "Drop D Tuna"