Record Deals Anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Yup

5 vote(s)
  2. Not yet..

23 vote(s)
  3. Don't play professionally

5 vote(s)
  1. Hi there.. How many of you pro TBers have a record deal, no matter if in a solo project or in a band?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Where's the option for - have had one in the past, but not currently? :rolleyes:
  3. Well, I ain't exactly a pro TBer. Got 6 bottles of Bud for a gig once - not sure that it counts as being paid!

Our band 'sort of' has a record deal - but we'll see how the 'sort of' part works out!
  4. I don't need any deals... i am fame. :rolleyes:

Artist Formally Known as Merlin.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What Brucie said.
    My old band Lorian had actually two deals for the first and only record we pushlished.
    We got fired from the first one after the holding company sold the label and the new owners changed their whole A&R department.
    Luckily we got the tapes and rights for free after they paid for the recording :D

The new company didn't do much except printing 2500 copies that were all sold. That was about it.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it's pending...should sign in a month or so, after our attorneys get a chance to look it over. :D
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i want to keep a close eye on this thread...

how does one get around to becoming a paid pro?

do you hire a lawyer to shop your demo around to the lawyers (and eventually a&r reps) of the majors?

that's my understanding of it...

on a related note: how much did you spend to become signed (legal fees, etc.)?

also, if you are/were signed, can ya tell us the story as to how that came about?

8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I had one as a rapper in the '80's, and I have one now with Virgin. Trust me, they're overrated!
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what, rappers?

yeah, i know that record deals aren't some magical gift granted by fairy god-mothers. and it is easy to make some money off of your music over the internet independently...

but it still seems to me that the only way to make a (somewhat) comfortable career as a musician is to go through the process of getting signed, getting big, then getting obscure.

there is always the option of staying independant, but i figure i'll go all out or not go at all.

so, 'chuck, got any success stories to share?
  10. Excellent...
    Share your stories and experiences..

BTW It seems like only moderators can edit the poll I couldn't add the "have had" option to it :(
  11. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    yes .. i have a deal
    .. sorta
    i created my own record label...
    ..its fun.. we got 4 bands signed now..
    and its kinda hard to run... but i have enough time.. lol and im doing it the cheap way..
    links at the bottem
  12. Yeah, there should be a "DIY" choice in the poll. My singer/guitarist started his own label; Hellfire Revival Records.
    Five bands and growing!
  13. We've been DIY for a year now but are working with Long Beach and Skunk Records right now. gonna play some shows with their bands and if all goes well we should be joining up with them shortly.
    Otherwise we look to see if anything will happen with Theologian Records.
  14. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Dude...i love your guys kick @$$!

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  16. Thanks Cap. I think was was directed towrds me.
  17. I was curious, do Virgin artists have an advantages over non-Virgin artists regarding the Virgin megastores and Virgin-related businesses?
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As for the mega stores, not really, with the exception of displays. If Virgin does a movie soundtrack or music for T.V., then their artists usually get the call. Kinda like Warner Brothers' artists and those WB network shows.
  19. Funny, I was a bit surprised when Sunny Day Real Estate signed with Time Bomb Recordings instead of Virgin. They said Virgin wanted too much money.

Anyways, sorry about hijacking the thread.

Anyone else got a recording contract?
  20. I play with 2 bands that are signed right now.

Whats up Woodchuck!!!