1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Record gig w/ 2ch from FOH?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by TwentyHz, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Do bands bring their own gear to record gigs with 2 channels back from FOH?

Is that a big ask? Do folks do this? What should I know?

I understand that multi-track mix would be optimized for live sound and thus may not be great as is. But I though it would be fun to do and maybe cool to save to add to a later studio project.

Thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving!

DJ Bebop and Rock Salad like this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    It's pretty common. A group I ran in the 90s used to record the shows to cassette. After the gig we would pop the cassette into the dash player of our van and listen, critique, and cut on/laugh with each other on the way to the next tour stop. Works great with some personalities, not so great with others.

You generally can't take the mix off the mains unless you mixing super loud or stage volume is super low, because the bass and drums generally won't be loud enough in the recording. To compensate for this, our tapes were generated from two post fader auxes and some trickery to route the effects back to the recording mix. So the recording mix tracked with changes to the main mix, but we bumped some of the channel sends to ensure the instruments balanced. It usually took a couple of gigs to dial in the low frequency instruments because headphones don't really give enough isolation to do it on the fly when the subs and mains are pumping.

Some digital boards have built in recording capabilities.

JRA, TwentyHz and blastoff99 like this.
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    We did that a few times, not to use for anything but to review and critique our performance and sound. I found I got good results with a simple Zoom H2n on a mic stand in front of the stage. Unless everything goes through the mixer, using a stereo line out from the board doesn't work well. We were more interested in how it sounded in the room, which is never what you'd hear taking a line out from the board.

4. If I were going to do it, assuming everything runs through the board...I would do a matrix...2 track stereo from the board and a couple of mics to capture the room sound...

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. Thanks, all - got similar advise from some local folks, via FB. I have a 4ch Zoom... seems like a great fit to set at the board location and get +2 from FOH when possible.

DJ Bebop and Wasnex like this.
  6. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I bring my little 2 channel Tascam and this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESDPX52

...to pretty much any gig with a relatively pro setup. Obviously it's a board mix, so if you have a loud drummer and guitarist, the 2-channel matrix board mix will be vocal-heavy, but it's great for post-show review.

If you're getting good money for the show, you hand the recorder and cable and a $20 to the sound guy and ask if he can hook you up. All he should have to do is plug in the xlr's, and build the stereo feed to the aux outs. But, with $20 in his pocket, he might take some care - then you can also ask him to get creative with the lights as well.

Set levels during soundcheck yourself. Go out and press record before your set yourself. Don't forget to get the recorder after you're done.

DJ Bebop, TwentyHz and SoCal80s like this.
  7. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Oh, and ALWAYS bring a blank 16gb thumb drive with you. You never know when the board can send a USB feed OR maybe you'll get lucky and some nerd will be filming the whole thing and you rip it.

DJ Bebop, Wasnex and TwentyHz like this.
  8. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I just picked up an xlive card for my x32, cant wait to try it out, have a friend who likes his, I went on a spree recently and got a s16 yo add another 16 ins and 8 outs to my system as well as this card and a few over tidbits

TwentyHz and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. Also I am finding at least in my town, a lot of clubs have digital boards capable of multi tracking. For say $20 they will record and dump the tracks to Dropbox for you to download but, that's here.

TwentyHz likes this.