1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Record keeping about gigs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RichardW, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Just thought I'd share something I do for my band and wonder if anyone does something similar. Several years ago, I started a spreadsheet that documents every gig my band has played since we started about seven-and-a-half years ago. Across the top row of the spread sheet I have the date and location of each gig--most recent gig closest to the left--and down the left hand column I list all the artists and songs in our repertoire. For every gig, I fill in the cell that intersects with the song.

Thus, reading a column, I track each song played at a particular gig and, reading across, I can see how many times we've played a particular song. This has been helpful to see what songs we play a lot and maybe should retire for a while, and what songs we should resurrect because we haven't played them in a while. It also tracks songs we've played maybe just once or twice and decided, "eh, never again."

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone does something similar in terms of tracking gigs and songs, or if it's just my weirdness.

2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Good idea. I don't have a band, but I may have done that if I did. I'd probably be more interested in the venue, audience information, and the like, but more knowledge is better than less.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't bother keeping track of the set list, but I do have a spreadsheet to keep track of:

Band I'm playing with
    Date of gig
    Venue
    Set Time
    Amount paid
    Instrument(s) I played
    Amp rig
    Number of gig for the year
    Number of gig total
    How many times played at that particular venue

It's all broken out by year so I can see how much money I grossed on a particular year, or how many gigs I had total in that year.
    I've got a separate tab for my basses and amps. How many gigs, last gig, when the batteries were changed, whether something is in storage or not, etc.

4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hadn't thought of the songs played, but that sounds like a good idea.
    I also enter the mileage to the gig for tax purposes.

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Tracking songs is hardcore!

For tax purposes, I maintain a spreadsheet that includes date, band, venue, pay, and mileage. There is also a "per band" summary so I can see where my bread is buttered. I keep expenses on a second tab that includes date, vendor, item, and cost.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Seriously. Each gig on the spreadsheet would look pretty similar for us, and I doubt I'd be able to remember all of the songs we played on a given night anyways. We work off of a song list, not a set list.

7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't track anything, but I will give it a shot this year. Interesting idea.

8. My "case candy" consists of every ticketed gig I've played since I was 14, back in 2003. As gigs around became fairly ticketless we have a Dropbox for live recordings, videos, newspaper clips and online reviews/plugs from numerous websites. Pretty cool to look back on, especially as I duck at remembering a specific event without something to trigger the memory.