Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

record label greed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by spector_guy2004, Sep 24, 2003.

1. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    hey guys,
    i am doing a project on greed in the music industry,and i was wondering if anyone knows any websites where there are interviews of artists regarding record label policies. thats pretty much the only things i need, but if anyone has any other ideas or sources that you will help, that would be really cool. anything will help alot.
    thanks

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    use google.com and see if you can find anything on the dixie chicks going after sony.

you may want to try http://www.afm.org/depts/oe/star/star.htm

that was a campaign that i had worked on - it was basically about the major record labels not paying industry standard wages to studio musicians because of their brown skin.

you may want to also try a search for the Recording Artist Coalition. Don Henley (sp?) started it.

good luck

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"greed" is an emotive word - this assumes some sort of moral or value judgement before you start!! :meh:

Record companies have to make a profit to keep going - they have to pay their employees, pay rent on buldings, taxes etc. Bigger ones have to pay dividends to their shareholders etc. etc.

They are not charities to help unemployed people who think they deserve a living out of being able to strum a few chords!!

They are businesses like any other - you might as well say : "crate-making companies' greed" !!

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Well said!

I am pretty sure the janitor working at the Record Company HQ isn't greedy.

5. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
  6. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Bruce thats definatly a good thing to keep in mind. Although i have a feeling that spector_guy was refering more to the idea of the RIAA sueing a bunch of 12 year old kids. While i agree that they have to make their money, i just cannot for the life of me comprehend how sueing their customers is going to make them more money. Regardless, i see your point Bruce. They have janitors and secretaries that have nothing to do with the big picture, but rely on it nonetheless.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't see that as greed at all - but anyway, if he meant that why did he say "record label" ?

I see record labels as anything but greedy - so like the Acid Jazz label in the UK gave a load of peope a chance to make innovative and different music. Skint - a record label in my home town, has actually donated large sums of money to keep the local football team going and I will be eternally grateful to them!! :)

Record labels do not deserve the label greedy - now if we were talking about companies like McDonalds - why they need to use up all the rain forest and desecrate beautiful capital cites with their tacky plastic logos!! That makes me mad!! :mad:

8. There's record companies and there's record companies, in the same way that there are fast food or food companies and there are food companies. Not every company sets itself the same agenda. Some record companies are indeed philanthropic and take an interest in nurturing local or exceptional talent whilst other record companies are content or sign crappy boy bands and concentrate on marketing to sell their products.

You might find more information if you looked into the greed of individual producers and managers.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Greed is just a word for not wanting to give your money to people who don't deserve it.

10. ZeroPaid

It's a file-sharing portal. Pro file-sharing, BTW. There's very interesting stuff in their news archives.